Sochi XXII: February First Friday Lecture to Reflect on 50 Years of the Olympic Games
The morning of the Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi, two Sport Management faculty members will serve as guest lecturers for the February First Friday Lecture, where they will take a look back at the 50-year history of the Olympic Games. “From Innsbruck to Sochi: 50 Years of Olympic Games” will be presented by Dr. Todd Harrison, Assistant Professor and Sport Management Department Chair, and Dr. Katharine Burakowski, Assistant Professor, on Friday, February 7. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
The presentation will explore the advancements, accomplishments, records, scandals, tragedies, and contributors that shaped the games we know today, making the Olympic Games strikingly different than when the Olympic cauldron was lit at the foot of the Bergisel ski jump in Innsbruck on February 9, 1964.
Burakowski has been an Assistant Professor of Sport Management at Fisher for a year and a half. She has taught courses that focus on organizational theory and behavior, research in the sport industry, and the use of social media by sport organizations. Her first Olympic memory is watching Oksana Baiul win the gold medal in ladies' figure skating at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A and C near the Welcome Center. For more information about the series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video