Sochi XXII: February First Friday Lecture to Reflect on 50 Years of the Olympic Games
The morning of the Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi, two Sport Management faculty members will serve as guest lecturers for the February First Friday Lecture, where they will take a look back at the 50-year history of the Olympic Games. “From Innsbruck to Sochi: 50 Years of Olympic Games” will be presented by Dr. Todd Harrison, Assistant Professor and Sport Management Department Chair, and Dr. Katharine Burakowski, Assistant Professor, on Friday, February 7. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
The presentation will explore the advancements, accomplishments, records, scandals, tragedies, and contributors that shaped the games we know today, making the Olympic Games strikingly different than when the Olympic cauldron was lit at the foot of the Bergisel ski jump in Innsbruck on February 9, 1964.
Burakowski has been an Assistant Professor of Sport Management at Fisher for a year and a half. She has taught courses that focus on organizational theory and behavior, research in the sport industry, and the use of social media by sport organizations. Her first Olympic memory is watching Oksana Baiul win the gold medal in ladies' figure skating at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A and C near the Welcome Center. For more information about the series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course