Sochi XXII: February First Friday Lecture to Reflect on 50 Years of the Olympic Games
The morning of the Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi, two Sport Management faculty members will serve as guest lecturers for the February First Friday Lecture, where they will take a look back at the 50-year history of the Olympic Games. “From Innsbruck to Sochi: 50 Years of Olympic Games” will be presented by Dr. Todd Harrison, Assistant Professor and Sport Management Department Chair, and Dr. Katharine Burakowski, Assistant Professor, on Friday, February 7. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
The presentation will explore the advancements, accomplishments, records, scandals, tragedies, and contributors that shaped the games we know today, making the Olympic Games strikingly different than when the Olympic cauldron was lit at the foot of the Bergisel ski jump in Innsbruck on February 9, 1964.
Burakowski has been an Assistant Professor of Sport Management at Fisher for a year and a half. She has taught courses that focus on organizational theory and behavior, research in the sport industry, and the use of social media by sport organizations. Her first Olympic memory is watching Oksana Baiul win the gold medal in ladies' figure skating at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A and C near the Welcome Center. For more information about the series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam
- A Voice for the Community: Pharmacy Professor Serves on Advisory Board for Global HIV Vaccine Study
- Crews Install Cross on Kearney Hall Spire
- Buffalo Bills Announce Ticket Distribution Information for 2016 Training Camp
- Bob Ward to be Inducted into Red Wings Walk of Fame
- St. John Fisher College a “Great College to Work For”
- Fisher Breaks Ground on New Chapel
- Lavery Library Photos on Display at Museum of African American History