Sochi XXII: February First Friday Lecture to Reflect on 50 Years of the Olympic Games
The morning of the Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi, two Sport Management faculty members will serve as guest lecturers for the February First Friday Lecture, where they will take a look back at the 50-year history of the Olympic Games. “From Innsbruck to Sochi: 50 Years of Olympic Games” will be presented by Dr. Todd Harrison, Assistant Professor and Sport Management Department Chair, and Dr. Katharine Burakowski, Assistant Professor, on Friday, February 7. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
The presentation will explore the advancements, accomplishments, records, scandals, tragedies, and contributors that shaped the games we know today, making the Olympic Games strikingly different than when the Olympic cauldron was lit at the foot of the Bergisel ski jump in Innsbruck on February 9, 1964.
Burakowski has been an Assistant Professor of Sport Management at Fisher for a year and a half. She has taught courses that focus on organizational theory and behavior, research in the sport industry, and the use of social media by sport organizations. Her first Olympic memory is watching Oksana Baiul win the gold medal in ladies' figure skating at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A and C near the Welcome Center. For more information about the series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest