McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
St. John Fisher College held its 59th Commencement on Saturday, May 11, welcoming over 1,100 graduates into the alumni family. David McCullough, Pulitzer-prize-winning author and historian, delivered an inspiring keynote speech to the graduates, encouraging them to read, write, and continue learning.
McCullough addressed the graduates after accepting an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws from Dr. Donald Bain, President.
“If you want to write well, read. Read all the time. Read, read, read,” McCullough told the graduates. “Learn to ask questions, cultivate curiosity. It's amazing how much you will learn.”
He also urged the class to continue to show gratitude to those who have helped them, and continue their enthusiasm. His advice? If they are ever feeling down, get moving and do something.
“Try not to sit and tap your foot. If the point is to dance, then get up and dance,” he said. “I love your generation. I love your good looks. And in the words of Jonathan Swift, ‘May you live all the days of your lives.’”
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Inaugural Campus Convocation Generates Conversations about Campus Mission
- Wes Renfro Delivers Convocation at Alma Mater
- College Renovates Park & Ride; Adds 120 Parking Spots
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers