“College Ready” Documentary Viewing October 15
A documentary tackling college readiness through the lens of the urban-suburban racial divide in Rochester, produced by the Rochester Participatory Education Research Collaborative (RPERC), will premier in Basil 135 on October 15 at 6:00 p.m. Drs. Jim Wood and Jeff Liles, Associate Professors from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, are two of the RPERC’s founding members.
Wood and Liles worked with other RPERC members, including students and teachers from East High School, Nazareth College faculty, and education graduate students on the film entitled “College Ready.” It debuted at the American Educators and Research Association Conference in San Francisco last spring, and its local debut took place in May at the University of Rochester.
The 50-minute documentary compares the differences between students in the city and suburbs when it comes to college readiness. It takes a closer look at common assumptions about college readiness, and frames the critique in an urban, student-centered, research-based cultural and political context.
In addition to the viewing at Fisher, the student producers are also presenting “College Ready” at Rochester-area high schools and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture