“College Ready” Documentary Viewing October 15
A documentary tackling college readiness through the lens of the urban-suburban racial divide in Rochester, produced by the Rochester Participatory Education Research Collaborative (RPERC), will premier in Basil 135 on October 15 at 6:00 p.m. Drs. Jim Wood and Jeff Liles, Associate Professors from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, are two of the RPERC’s founding members.
Wood and Liles worked with other RPERC members, including students and teachers from East High School, Nazareth College faculty, and education graduate students on the film entitled “College Ready.” It debuted at the American Educators and Research Association Conference in San Francisco last spring, and its local debut took place in May at the University of Rochester.
The 50-minute documentary compares the differences between students in the city and suburbs when it comes to college readiness. It takes a closer look at common assumptions about college readiness, and frames the critique in an urban, student-centered, research-based cultural and political context.
In addition to the viewing at Fisher, the student producers are also presenting “College Ready” at Rochester-area high schools and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015