SGA to Shine Light on Domestic Violence Awareness
In light of the recent tragedy that occurred at The College at Brockport, the St. John Fisher College Student Government Association (SGA) will be promoting domestic violence awareness on campus over the next few weeks.
According to the SGA, members wanted to show their support for the Brockport campus community, so they have designed bracelets that will be given to students, faculty, and staff across the Fisher campus. The bracelet is purple and green, with the word “RESPECT” displayed in gold embossing. The purple signifies domestic violence awareness, the green represents Brockport, and the gold symbolizes the standard our students should set for themselves and each other.
“We recognize the tragedy that took place on their campus could very easily have been Fisher's campus or any of the area colleges,” said Nicole Henry, Director of Marketing, SGA. “So we feel that it is important to take action and not only show our support, but set a standard that this type of violence is not something we will tolerate. Through the bracelets, we hope to remind our campus community to respect ourselves and those around us.”
The bracelets will be given out at various times and locations. In addition, a remembrance card and an information sheet about domestic violence with warning signs and tips will also be distributed. The proclamation made by President Obama at the beginning of October calling for the month to be recognized as “National Domestic Violence Awareness Month” will also be displayed on campus.
Bracelets will be free to members of the Fisher community, but donations are being accepted. Funds raised will support an effort identified by the Brockport community.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference