Free "Panic & Pandemics" Conference Taking Place October 1
In recognition of the man who has been credited with making Rochester “one of the healthiest cities in the country,” the College’s Health Humanities Committee is hosting “Panic & Pandemics: The Continuing Influence of George Goler” on Friday, October 1, at the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
The free conference runs from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and is packed with informative and insightful sessions lead by Fisher faculty, including Dr. Tim Madigan, Dr. Carolyn Vacca, Dr. Lisa Jadwin, and Prof. Kyle F. Reinson. Faculty from the University of Rochester will also serve as guest lecturers. A reception will take place from 5:45 until 6:45 p.m. in the Skalny Welcome Center, where a special display on Goler and public health will be shown. The last lecture of the evening begins at 7:00 and will be accompanied by dinner. While the cost for dinner is $25.00 per person, attending the lecture is free.
Goler (1864-1940) was a major figure in the history of public health not only in the city of Rochester, but in the United States. Goler served as Rochester’s first full-time public health officer from 1896 until 1932. He was an internationally recognized leader in public health, and was an early advocate of preventive medicine. His mission was to improve the lives of the working poor, and he engaged his contemporaries in ethical debates about the community’s responsibility for public health.
Goler’s vision reshaped and strengthened the relationship between the community and the individual as it related to healthcare, and his public campaigns in response to the spread of typhoid, diphtheria, scarlet fever, cholera and venereal diseases were viewed as models for the entire country.
In light of the current concerns over the swine flu and other potential pandemics, awareness of Goler’s techniques in promoting public health is crucial. The conference will not only explore his legacy, but connect it to current, ongoing public health campaigns.
Latest College News Stories
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule