Free "Panic & Pandemics" Conference Taking Place October 1
In recognition of the man who has been credited with making Rochester “one of the healthiest cities in the country,” the College’s Health Humanities Committee is hosting “Panic & Pandemics: The Continuing Influence of George Goler” on Friday, October 1, at the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
The free conference runs from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and is packed with informative and insightful sessions lead by Fisher faculty, including Dr. Tim Madigan, Dr. Carolyn Vacca, Dr. Lisa Jadwin, and Prof. Kyle F. Reinson. Faculty from the University of Rochester will also serve as guest lecturers. A reception will take place from 5:45 until 6:45 p.m. in the Skalny Welcome Center, where a special display on Goler and public health will be shown. The last lecture of the evening begins at 7:00 and will be accompanied by dinner. While the cost for dinner is $25.00 per person, attending the lecture is free.
Goler (1864-1940) was a major figure in the history of public health not only in the city of Rochester, but in the United States. Goler served as Rochester’s first full-time public health officer from 1896 until 1932. He was an internationally recognized leader in public health, and was an early advocate of preventive medicine. His mission was to improve the lives of the working poor, and he engaged his contemporaries in ethical debates about the community’s responsibility for public health.
Goler’s vision reshaped and strengthened the relationship between the community and the individual as it related to healthcare, and his public campaigns in response to the spread of typhoid, diphtheria, scarlet fever, cholera and venereal diseases were viewed as models for the entire country.
In light of the current concerns over the swine flu and other potential pandemics, awareness of Goler’s techniques in promoting public health is crucial. The conference will not only explore his legacy, but connect it to current, ongoing public health campaigns.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins