Free "Panic & Pandemics" Conference Taking Place October 1
In recognition of the man who has been credited with making Rochester “one of the healthiest cities in the country,” the College’s Health Humanities Committee is hosting “Panic & Pandemics: The Continuing Influence of George Goler” on Friday, October 1, at the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
The free conference runs from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and is packed with informative and insightful sessions lead by Fisher faculty, including Dr. Tim Madigan, Dr. Carolyn Vacca, Dr. Lisa Jadwin, and Prof. Kyle F. Reinson. Faculty from the University of Rochester will also serve as guest lecturers. A reception will take place from 5:45 until 6:45 p.m. in the Skalny Welcome Center, where a special display on Goler and public health will be shown. The last lecture of the evening begins at 7:00 and will be accompanied by dinner. While the cost for dinner is $25.00 per person, attending the lecture is free.
Goler (1864-1940) was a major figure in the history of public health not only in the city of Rochester, but in the United States. Goler served as Rochester’s first full-time public health officer from 1896 until 1932. He was an internationally recognized leader in public health, and was an early advocate of preventive medicine. His mission was to improve the lives of the working poor, and he engaged his contemporaries in ethical debates about the community’s responsibility for public health.
Goler’s vision reshaped and strengthened the relationship between the community and the individual as it related to healthcare, and his public campaigns in response to the spread of typhoid, diphtheria, scarlet fever, cholera and venereal diseases were viewed as models for the entire country.
In light of the current concerns over the swine flu and other potential pandemics, awareness of Goler’s techniques in promoting public health is crucial. The conference will not only explore his legacy, but connect it to current, ongoing public health campaigns.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes