Free "Panic & Pandemics" Conference Taking Place October 1
In recognition of the man who has been credited with making Rochester “one of the healthiest cities in the country,” the College’s Health Humanities Committee is hosting “Panic & Pandemics: The Continuing Influence of George Goler” on Friday, October 1, at the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
The free conference runs from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and is packed with informative and insightful sessions lead by Fisher faculty, including Dr. Tim Madigan, Dr. Carolyn Vacca, Dr. Lisa Jadwin, and Prof. Kyle F. Reinson. Faculty from the University of Rochester will also serve as guest lecturers. A reception will take place from 5:45 until 6:45 p.m. in the Skalny Welcome Center, where a special display on Goler and public health will be shown. The last lecture of the evening begins at 7:00 and will be accompanied by dinner. While the cost for dinner is $25.00 per person, attending the lecture is free.
Goler (1864-1940) was a major figure in the history of public health not only in the city of Rochester, but in the United States. Goler served as Rochester’s first full-time public health officer from 1896 until 1932. He was an internationally recognized leader in public health, and was an early advocate of preventive medicine. His mission was to improve the lives of the working poor, and he engaged his contemporaries in ethical debates about the community’s responsibility for public health.
Goler’s vision reshaped and strengthened the relationship between the community and the individual as it related to healthcare, and his public campaigns in response to the spread of typhoid, diphtheria, scarlet fever, cholera and venereal diseases were viewed as models for the entire country.
In light of the current concerns over the swine flu and other potential pandemics, awareness of Goler’s techniques in promoting public health is crucial. The conference will not only explore his legacy, but connect it to current, ongoing public health campaigns.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner