Faculty Co-Publish Article
Dr. Tim Franz, Professor of Psychology, and Dr. Kris Green, Professor and Interim Program Director, Graduate Program in Math/Science/Technology Education, recently co-published an article in the Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
The article was entitled “The impact of an interdisciplinary learning community course on pseudoscientific reasoning in first-year science students,” and focused on the development and evaluation of an interdisciplinary first-year learning community designed to stimulate scientific reasoning and critical thinking for mathematics and natural sciences majors.
The six-credit learning community course the pair evaluated was writing-intensive and emphasized general scientific reasoning and critical thinking skills. Success of the course was measured using a pre-test/post-test design that assessed students’ paranormal beliefs. Outcomes of their study indicated students’ paranormal beliefs were significantly lower at the end of the semester than at the beginning, which was used as a surrogate measure of scientific reasoning that was directly relevant to course content.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Health Fair Delivers Medical Care to Refugees in Rochester
- Fisher Hosts National Computers and Writing Conference
- Rice’s Book Earns Philippine Book Award Nomination
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Ed.D. Candidate Appointed Dean of Admissions at Morrisville State College
- Community Literacy Center Receives Grant Support
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine