First Generation Scholars “Bounce for Life”
St. John Fisher College’s senior class of first generation scholars recently organized the first-ever “Bounce for Life” walk for their senior seminar class, raising $2,200 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Nearly 80 people participated in the walk, which also challenged individuals to bounce basketballs as they walked. It took place on the Polisseni Track and Field Complex, and the class had been working tirelessly on the project since the spring semester. Five Star Bank served as the lead sponsor.
One of the lead organizers, Joshua Bender, said he got the idea for the fundraiser because he has Type 1 diabetes, and has suffered from the disease for 14 years. And with his love for basketball, he thought incorporating the sport would be a fun way to mix up the typical walk fundraiser.
“This event was important to me because it was all about bringing awareness to a disease that is rapidly affecting individuals everywhere. Being able to make a difference within the community and try to help the foundation raise money for a possible cure was the least I could do,” said Bender. “I hope the event was a small step towards creating awareness and making a difference.”
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner