First Generation Scholars “Bounce for Life”
St. John Fisher College’s senior class of first generation scholars recently organized the first-ever “Bounce for Life” walk for their senior seminar class, raising $2,200 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Nearly 80 people participated in the walk, which also challenged individuals to bounce basketballs as they walked. It took place on the Polisseni Track and Field Complex, and the class had been working tirelessly on the project since the spring semester. Five Star Bank served as the lead sponsor.
One of the lead organizers, Joshua Bender, said he got the idea for the fundraiser because he has Type 1 diabetes, and has suffered from the disease for 14 years. And with his love for basketball, he thought incorporating the sport would be a fun way to mix up the typical walk fundraiser.
“This event was important to me because it was all about bringing awareness to a disease that is rapidly affecting individuals everywhere. Being able to make a difference within the community and try to help the foundation raise money for a possible cure was the least I could do,” said Bender. “I hope the event was a small step towards creating awareness and making a difference.”
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes