First Generation Scholars “Bounce for Life”
St. John Fisher College’s senior class of first generation scholars recently organized the first-ever “Bounce for Life” walk for their senior seminar class, raising $2,200 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Nearly 80 people participated in the walk, which also challenged individuals to bounce basketballs as they walked. It took place on the Polisseni Track and Field Complex, and the class had been working tirelessly on the project since the spring semester. Five Star Bank served as the lead sponsor.
One of the lead organizers, Joshua Bender, said he got the idea for the fundraiser because he has Type 1 diabetes, and has suffered from the disease for 14 years. And with his love for basketball, he thought incorporating the sport would be a fun way to mix up the typical walk fundraiser.
“This event was important to me because it was all about bringing awareness to a disease that is rapidly affecting individuals everywhere. Being able to make a difference within the community and try to help the foundation raise money for a possible cure was the least I could do,” said Bender. “I hope the event was a small step towards creating awareness and making a difference.”
Latest College News Stories
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners