First Generation Scholars “Bounce for Life”
St. John Fisher College’s senior class of first generation scholars recently organized the first-ever “Bounce for Life” walk for their senior seminar class, raising $2,200 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Nearly 80 people participated in the walk, which also challenged individuals to bounce basketballs as they walked. It took place on the Polisseni Track and Field Complex, and the class had been working tirelessly on the project since the spring semester. Five Star Bank served as the lead sponsor.
One of the lead organizers, Joshua Bender, said he got the idea for the fundraiser because he has Type 1 diabetes, and has suffered from the disease for 14 years. And with his love for basketball, he thought incorporating the sport would be a fun way to mix up the typical walk fundraiser.
“This event was important to me because it was all about bringing awareness to a disease that is rapidly affecting individuals everywhere. Being able to make a difference within the community and try to help the foundation raise money for a possible cure was the least I could do,” said Bender. “I hope the event was a small step towards creating awareness and making a difference.”
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country