First Generation Scholars “Bounce for Life”
St. John Fisher College’s senior class of first generation scholars recently organized the first-ever “Bounce for Life” walk for their senior seminar class, raising $2,200 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Nearly 80 people participated in the walk, which also challenged individuals to bounce basketballs as they walked. It took place on the Polisseni Track and Field Complex, and the class had been working tirelessly on the project since the spring semester. Five Star Bank served as the lead sponsor.
One of the lead organizers, Joshua Bender, said he got the idea for the fundraiser because he has Type 1 diabetes, and has suffered from the disease for 14 years. And with his love for basketball, he thought incorporating the sport would be a fun way to mix up the typical walk fundraiser.
“This event was important to me because it was all about bringing awareness to a disease that is rapidly affecting individuals everywhere. Being able to make a difference within the community and try to help the foundation raise money for a possible cure was the least I could do,” said Bender. “I hope the event was a small step towards creating awareness and making a difference.”
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program