Dr. Deborah Uman is Featured Speaker at March “First Friday Lecture Series”
On Friday, March 2, Dr. Deborah Uman, Associate Professor of English at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the First Friday Lecture Series speaker. Her presentation is entitled, “Shakespeare’s Afterlives,” and will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center. The event will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast, and the lecture will begin at 10:00 a.m.
In her lecture, Uman will examine films of Laurence Olivier, Kenneth Branagh, and Trevor Nunn, all of which have brought Shakespeare’s plays to a growing audience. Additionally, she will look at how his plays have been transformed into comic books, television series, cartoons, and movies that stray far from the original work. The presentation will review some of those transformations including Neil Gaiman’s graphic novel based on A Midsummer Night’s Dream; the Canadian television series, “Slings and Arrows”; and student work produced in a recent course on Shakespeare and adaptation.
Uman’s academic specialties are Renaissance literature, Shakespeare, and women writers. Her book on Renaissance women translators will release this spring, and her edited collection on early modern drama is due to release in 2013.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community. The series is free and open to the public.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades