Dr. Deborah Uman is Featured Speaker at March “First Friday Lecture Series”
On Friday, March 2, Dr. Deborah Uman, Associate Professor of English at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the First Friday Lecture Series speaker. Her presentation is entitled, “Shakespeare’s Afterlives,” and will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center. The event will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast, and the lecture will begin at 10:00 a.m.
In her lecture, Uman will examine films of Laurence Olivier, Kenneth Branagh, and Trevor Nunn, all of which have brought Shakespeare’s plays to a growing audience. Additionally, she will look at how his plays have been transformed into comic books, television series, cartoons, and movies that stray far from the original work. The presentation will review some of those transformations including Neil Gaiman’s graphic novel based on A Midsummer Night’s Dream; the Canadian television series, “Slings and Arrows”; and student work produced in a recent course on Shakespeare and adaptation.
Uman’s academic specialties are Renaissance literature, Shakespeare, and women writers. Her book on Renaissance women translators will release this spring, and her edited collection on early modern drama is due to release in 2013.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community. The series is free and open to the public.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair