Dr. Deborah Uman is Featured Speaker at March “First Friday Lecture Series”
On Friday, March 2, Dr. Deborah Uman, Associate Professor of English at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the First Friday Lecture Series speaker. Her presentation is entitled, “Shakespeare’s Afterlives,” and will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center. The event will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast, and the lecture will begin at 10:00 a.m.
In her lecture, Uman will examine films of Laurence Olivier, Kenneth Branagh, and Trevor Nunn, all of which have brought Shakespeare’s plays to a growing audience. Additionally, she will look at how his plays have been transformed into comic books, television series, cartoons, and movies that stray far from the original work. The presentation will review some of those transformations including Neil Gaiman’s graphic novel based on A Midsummer Night’s Dream; the Canadian television series, “Slings and Arrows”; and student work produced in a recent course on Shakespeare and adaptation.
Uman’s academic specialties are Renaissance literature, Shakespeare, and women writers. Her book on Renaissance women translators will release this spring, and her edited collection on early modern drama is due to release in 2013.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community. The series is free and open to the public.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students