College to Host Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration on January 20
The life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. will be honored during a Coexistence Dinner for the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at St. John Fisher College on Monday, January 20. The dinner, which is being co-presented by the College’s Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs and the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, will take place from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. in the Cleary Family Auditorium. This year’s theme will be “Peaceful Human Family.”
The dinner, which was started three years ago by former student Husain Bawany, brings together students from a variety of faiths to encourage conversation focused on diversity and faith, in an effort to promote an atmosphere of acceptance, learning, and openness. Students from across the region are expected to attend.
Speakers will include Pastor Dave Inglis and Rev. Martha Stone, Henrietta United Church of Christ; Anna-Kristina Pfeifer and George Payne, M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence; Rev. Michael Costanzo, Fisher; Zafar Sarwar, Imam and Missionary of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; and Steve Jarose, National Coalition Building Institute. President Bain, Father Joe Lanzalaco, and Dr. Richard DeJesús-Rueff will also offer remarks.
As part of the celebration, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs is also accepting toiletry donations through January 20 for its annual Hospitality Kit Project, which will provide kits to community partners including St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, A Meal and More, Saint’s Place, Sojourner House, Foundations of Hope Ministries, Bethany House, Mary’s Place, and Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network. Donations can be dropped off at the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs in Basil 117.
For more information about the celebration, please contact Yantee Slobert, Director of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, at 585-385-8423.
Latest College News Stories
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member