College to Host Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration on January 20
The life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. will be honored during a Coexistence Dinner for the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at St. John Fisher College on Monday, January 20. The dinner, which is being co-presented by the College’s Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs and the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, will take place from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. in the Cleary Family Auditorium. This year’s theme will be “Peaceful Human Family.”
The dinner, which was started three years ago by former student Husain Bawany, brings together students from a variety of faiths to encourage conversation focused on diversity and faith, in an effort to promote an atmosphere of acceptance, learning, and openness. Students from across the region are expected to attend.
Speakers will include Pastor Dave Inglis and Rev. Martha Stone, Henrietta United Church of Christ; Anna-Kristina Pfeifer and George Payne, M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence; Rev. Michael Costanzo, Fisher; Zafar Sarwar, Imam and Missionary of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; and Steve Jarose, National Coalition Building Institute. President Bain, Father Joe Lanzalaco, and Dr. Richard DeJesús-Rueff will also offer remarks.
As part of the celebration, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs is also accepting toiletry donations through January 20 for its annual Hospitality Kit Project, which will provide kits to community partners including St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, A Meal and More, Saint’s Place, Sojourner House, Foundations of Hope Ministries, Bethany House, Mary’s Place, and Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network. Donations can be dropped off at the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs in Basil 117.
For more information about the celebration, please contact Yantee Slobert, Director of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, at 585-385-8423.
Check out photos from Relay for Life 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Awards Recognize Excellence within the School of Pharmacy
- Fisher Students Contribute to Freshman Survival Guide
- Professor Shares Business Expertise through Fulbright, Aims to Erupt Economic Development on Volcanic Island of Rodrigues
- Chemistry Students Present Research at Regional Symposium
- Unither Scholars Program Benefits Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students
- Speed Networking Connects Students, Industry Leaders
- Ceremony Honors Service-Learning Efforts at Fisher
- Jack Palvino Award Honors Two for Academic Excellence