College to Host Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration on January 20
The life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. will be honored during a Coexistence Dinner for the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at St. John Fisher College on Monday, January 20. The dinner, which is being co-presented by the College’s Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs and the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, will take place from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. in the Cleary Family Auditorium. This year’s theme will be “Peaceful Human Family.”
The dinner, which was started three years ago by former student Husain Bawany, brings together students from a variety of faiths to encourage conversation focused on diversity and faith, in an effort to promote an atmosphere of acceptance, learning, and openness. Students from across the region are expected to attend.
Speakers will include Pastor Dave Inglis and Rev. Martha Stone, Henrietta United Church of Christ; Anna-Kristina Pfeifer and George Payne, M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence; Rev. Michael Costanzo, Fisher; Zafar Sarwar, Imam and Missionary of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; and Steve Jarose, National Coalition Building Institute. President Bain, Father Joe Lanzalaco, and Dr. Richard DeJesús-Rueff will also offer remarks.
As part of the celebration, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs is also accepting toiletry donations through January 20 for its annual Hospitality Kit Project, which will provide kits to community partners including St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, A Meal and More, Saint’s Place, Sojourner House, Foundations of Hope Ministries, Bethany House, Mary’s Place, and Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network. Donations can be dropped off at the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs in Basil 117.
For more information about the celebration, please contact Yantee Slobert, Director of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, at 585-385-8423.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference