Trovato Lecture Set for February 20
On Thursday, February 20, St. John Fisher College will host the annual Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Dr. Harry Murray, Chair of the Sociology and Anthropology Department at Nazareth College. He will present “Hellfire from Heaven: The Morality of Weaponized Drones,” addressing the moral and ethical issues raised by weaponized drones in light of Catholic social teaching, biblical perspectives, and international law. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135.
Murray will address issues including the killing of civilians, drones as a way to save American lives, the effect of drones on children and community in the tribal areas of Pakistan, the execution of American citizens without due process, drones in the context of international law, the effect of drones on the growth of terrorism, and the blurring of the line between war and peace. He will also discuss the nonviolent resistance to weaponized drones that has arisen in Upstate New York and throughout the country.
Murray has been teaching at Nazareth since 1987. He received a Ph.D. in Sociology from Syracuse University and a master's degree in Regional Planning from Cornell University. He is the author of Do Not Neglect Hospitality: The Catholic Worker and the Homeless (1990) and, most recently, co-author of “Toward a Psychology of Nonviolence” in Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era (2014). Murray has been a member of the St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality community since 1987, responsible for coordinating the Saturday meal. In addition, he has been involved in the peace movement since the 1970s and has participated in nonviolent civil disobedience at the Pentagon, Griffiss Air Force Base, Seneca Army Depot, the School of the Americas, the Monroe County Department of Social Services, and, most recently, Hancock Air National Guard Base in Syracuse, site of a control center for MQ-9 Reaper drones.
The lecture is hosted by the Ethics Minor Program, and is free and open to the public.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner