Trovato Lecture Set for February 20
On Thursday, February 20, St. John Fisher College will host the annual Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Dr. Harry Murray, Chair of the Sociology and Anthropology Department at Nazareth College. He will present “Hellfire from Heaven: The Morality of Weaponized Drones,” addressing the moral and ethical issues raised by weaponized drones in light of Catholic social teaching, biblical perspectives, and international law. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135.
Murray will address issues including the killing of civilians, drones as a way to save American lives, the effect of drones on children and community in the tribal areas of Pakistan, the execution of American citizens without due process, drones in the context of international law, the effect of drones on the growth of terrorism, and the blurring of the line between war and peace. He will also discuss the nonviolent resistance to weaponized drones that has arisen in Upstate New York and throughout the country.
Murray has been teaching at Nazareth since 1987. He received a Ph.D. in Sociology from Syracuse University and a master's degree in Regional Planning from Cornell University. He is the author of Do Not Neglect Hospitality: The Catholic Worker and the Homeless (1990) and, most recently, co-author of “Toward a Psychology of Nonviolence” in Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era (2014). Murray has been a member of the St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality community since 1987, responsible for coordinating the Saturday meal. In addition, he has been involved in the peace movement since the 1970s and has participated in nonviolent civil disobedience at the Pentagon, Griffiss Air Force Base, Seneca Army Depot, the School of the Americas, the Monroe County Department of Social Services, and, most recently, Hancock Air National Guard Base in Syracuse, site of a control center for MQ-9 Reaper drones.
The lecture is hosted by the Ethics Minor Program, and is free and open to the public.
Latest College News Stories
- Clark Honored with Teddi Award
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum