Sarachan Presents at iConference
Jeremy Sarachan, assistant professor of Communication/Journalism, served as a presenter at the 2012 iConference, which was held on February 8 and 9 in Toronto.
Sarachan presented a poster entitled, “Exploring the Virtual Toy Box, Virtual Worlds and Young Children.”
His research analyzed virtual spaces such as Club Penguin, and the characteristics that motivate children to use them. He found that children tend to focus on specific and age-appropriate activities, and generally like to explore those spaces. Younger children prefer short, casual games while older children are drawn to opportunities for creativity.
There was little interest in the social aspects of the games, Sarachan says, despite the widespread belief that these worlds serve as an introduction to social networking.
The iConference is an annual gathering of information scholars, researchers, and practitioners who share a passion for making a difference through the study of people, information, and technology. This year's event was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year