Sarachan Presents at iConference
Jeremy Sarachan, assistant professor of Communication/Journalism, served as a presenter at the 2012 iConference, which was held on February 8 and 9 in Toronto.
Sarachan presented a poster entitled, “Exploring the Virtual Toy Box, Virtual Worlds and Young Children.”
His research analyzed virtual spaces such as Club Penguin, and the characteristics that motivate children to use them. He found that children tend to focus on specific and age-appropriate activities, and generally like to explore those spaces. Younger children prefer short, casual games while older children are drawn to opportunities for creativity.
There was little interest in the social aspects of the games, Sarachan says, despite the widespread belief that these worlds serve as an introduction to social networking.
The iConference is an annual gathering of information scholars, researchers, and practitioners who share a passion for making a difference through the study of people, information, and technology. This year's event was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference