Sarachan Presents at iConference
Jeremy Sarachan, assistant professor of Communication/Journalism, served as a presenter at the 2012 iConference, which was held on February 8 and 9 in Toronto.
Sarachan presented a poster entitled, “Exploring the Virtual Toy Box, Virtual Worlds and Young Children.”
His research analyzed virtual spaces such as Club Penguin, and the characteristics that motivate children to use them. He found that children tend to focus on specific and age-appropriate activities, and generally like to explore those spaces. Younger children prefer short, casual games while older children are drawn to opportunities for creativity.
There was little interest in the social aspects of the games, Sarachan says, despite the widespread belief that these worlds serve as an introduction to social networking.
The iConference is an annual gathering of information scholars, researchers, and practitioners who share a passion for making a difference through the study of people, information, and technology. This year's event was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins