Sarachan Presents at iConference
Jeremy Sarachan, assistant professor of Communication/Journalism, served as a presenter at the 2012 iConference, which was held on February 8 and 9 in Toronto.
Sarachan presented a poster entitled, “Exploring the Virtual Toy Box, Virtual Worlds and Young Children.”
His research analyzed virtual spaces such as Club Penguin, and the characteristics that motivate children to use them. He found that children tend to focus on specific and age-appropriate activities, and generally like to explore those spaces. Younger children prefer short, casual games while older children are drawn to opportunities for creativity.
There was little interest in the social aspects of the games, Sarachan says, despite the widespread belief that these worlds serve as an introduction to social networking.
The iConference is an annual gathering of information scholars, researchers, and practitioners who share a passion for making a difference through the study of people, information, and technology. This year's event was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video