Sarachan Presents at iConference
Jeremy Sarachan, assistant professor of Communication/Journalism, served as a presenter at the 2012 iConference, which was held on February 8 and 9 in Toronto.
Sarachan presented a poster entitled, “Exploring the Virtual Toy Box, Virtual Worlds and Young Children.”
His research analyzed virtual spaces such as Club Penguin, and the characteristics that motivate children to use them. He found that children tend to focus on specific and age-appropriate activities, and generally like to explore those spaces. Younger children prefer short, casual games while older children are drawn to opportunities for creativity.
There was little interest in the social aspects of the games, Sarachan says, despite the widespread belief that these worlds serve as an introduction to social networking.
The iConference is an annual gathering of information scholars, researchers, and practitioners who share a passion for making a difference through the study of people, information, and technology. This year's event was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain