“Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” Featuring Dr. Rob Rice in March First Friday Lecture
On Friday, March 1, Dr. Rob Rice, Director of Clinical Internships in the Mental Health Counseling Program at St. John Fisher College, will present “Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” for the First Friday Lecture. The lecture comes on the heels of a series of national tragedies that have many people talking about mental health awareness. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
During the lecture, Rice will discuss research related to the public perception of people with mental illness and their potential for violent behavior, and the association between mental disorders and violence, especially among youth. He will also discuss the reactions to the recent tragedies and the implications for public policy influencing youth safety and mental health.
Rice is a full-time, tenure-track faculty member who specializes in the treatment of anxiety and repetitive behaviors associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder and autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents.
In 2004, he developed and directed a large clinic supporting people with developmental disabilities and mental illness, where he stayed until 2009. He continues to see patients at the clinic on a weekly basis. His current projects and research interests include using videogames and technology to teach self-regulation and other skills for managing anxiety and repetitive behaviors. He presents regularly on his research, most recently in Toronto and The Netherlands at the 2012 International Meeting for Autism Research and Games for Health Europe, respectively.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference