Local High School Students “Discover at Fisher”
On Tuesday, July 31, St. John Fisher College and the Buffalo Bills hosted “Discover at Fisher” day for 30 local high school students from the East Rochester School District and the Safe to be Smart Program of the Rochester Public Library, which provides programming opportunities for children and adolescents at six branches of the library. The day focuses on the importance of literacy.
After a welcome from President Donald Bain and his wife, Meg, the students participated in seven interactive sessions with Fisher faculty, staff, and students, as well as Buffalo Bills staff. Sessions were designed to encourage the students to celebrate literacy, while also giving them a chance to experience the feel of a college campus.
Jennifer Granger from Fisher’s Athletics Department co-presented “Discover Nutrition” with local nutrition expert Wanda Miller. They shared interesting facts about healthy eating habits for both athletes and non-athletes, and lead the students through an interactive nutrition game. Each student also received a recipe book.
Dr. Jack Rosenberry, Chair of Fisher’s Communication/Journalism Department, presented “Discover News,” focusing on news industry careers and how they have changed in today’s 24-7 news world.
Dr. Christine Nelson-Tuttle and Pam White, faculty members in the Wegmans School of Nursing, presented "Discover Nursing," in one of the cutting-edge simulation laboratories at the College. Students were able to work with patient robots, take blood pressures, and learn more about opportunities in the field of nursing.
Pam White showing students how to listen to a patient's heartbeat and find the pulse.
Dr. Fang Zhao, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, presented “Discover Healthy Habits.” Working in Fisher’s state-of-the-art pharmacy laboratory, students learned how to make their own hand sanitizer.
Dr. Fang Zhao showing students how easy it is to make hand sanitizer.
Andy Major, Buffalo Bills’ Vice President, Event Operations and Guest Experience, presented “Discover Careers in Sports: Chalk Talk,” where he talked about all of the career opportunities that exist with sports teams – for both minor and major leagues.
Dr. Todd Harrison, Chair of Fisher’s Sports Management Department, talked with students for the “Discover College Majors” session. He gave some history of his own education, and discussed the different options that exist for students today and what major would be a good one for them to pursue based on their interests and aspirations.
And finally, some of Fisher’s literacy graduate students presented “Discover Through Reading.” Using an Olympic theme, the Fisher students taught attendees how to use Google Lit Trip to do research on past Olympics and compile all of that research in one easy-to-find page, creating a literary experience.
Students also participated in a calisthenics session lead by some of Fisher’s top athletes and Coach Paul Vosburgh, head coach of the College’s football team.
Fisher football players look on as a student runs a typical drill for a college athlete.
At the end of the day, they were treated as VIPS at the Buffalo Bills’ Community Relations tent, where they took in the afternoon practice. This was the fifth year for the event.
A Fisher student helps local student navigate Google Lit Trip.
Latest College News Stories
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week