African American Studies to Present Gathering of Griots Forum
The African American Studies Program, in conjunction with Monroe Community College, will host the 2013 Gathering of Griots Forum on Wednesday, March 20, at 2:30 p.m. in the St. John Fisher College COP Conference Room, located in the Campus Center.
The principal speaker, Dr. James Evans, Jr., will present “The African American Community and the Dilemma of the Black Literary Body.” Students from Fisher and MCC will present, “Interim Report from the Field: E-racing the Black Literary Body,” a collaborative African American Literature project. Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, African American Studies Program Director, and Professor Tokeya Graham of MCC’s English and Philosophy Departments, will present with the students. The general theme is, in part, a literary response to the “RACE: Are We So Different Exhibit” currently on display at the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
Evans was the President of Colgate Rochester Divinity School from 1990 to 2000. The pastor, educator, and scholar is currently the Robert K. Davies Professor of Systematic Theology at the Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School and Founding Pastor of St. Luke Tabernacle Community Church.
Additional forum sponsors include Fisher’s African American Studies Minor Program, English Department, and the College Bookstore.
Latest College News Stories
- Community Service Efforts Land Fisher on President’s Honor Roll
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family