African American Studies to Present Gathering of Griots Forum
The African American Studies Program, in conjunction with Monroe Community College, will host the 2013 Gathering of Griots Forum on Wednesday, March 20, at 2:30 p.m. in the St. John Fisher College COP Conference Room, located in the Campus Center.
The principal speaker, Dr. James Evans, Jr., will present “The African American Community and the Dilemma of the Black Literary Body.” Students from Fisher and MCC will present, “Interim Report from the Field: E-racing the Black Literary Body,” a collaborative African American Literature project. Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, African American Studies Program Director, and Professor Tokeya Graham of MCC’s English and Philosophy Departments, will present with the students. The general theme is, in part, a literary response to the “RACE: Are We So Different Exhibit” currently on display at the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
Evans was the President of Colgate Rochester Divinity School from 1990 to 2000. The pastor, educator, and scholar is currently the Robert K. Davies Professor of Systematic Theology at the Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School and Founding Pastor of St. Luke Tabernacle Community Church.
Additional forum sponsors include Fisher’s African American Studies Minor Program, English Department, and the College Bookstore.
Latest College News Stories
- Education Students Benefit from Partnership with Greece School District
- Fisher Ranks 6th for Best College Campus in New York State
- Recent Biology Graduates to Publish Work
- Green Speaks at Joint Mathematics Meetings
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24