African American Studies to Present Gathering of Griots Forum
The African American Studies Program, in conjunction with Monroe Community College, will host the 2013 Gathering of Griots Forum on Wednesday, March 20, at 2:30 p.m. in the St. John Fisher College COP Conference Room, located in the Campus Center.
The principal speaker, Dr. James Evans, Jr., will present “The African American Community and the Dilemma of the Black Literary Body.” Students from Fisher and MCC will present, “Interim Report from the Field: E-racing the Black Literary Body,” a collaborative African American Literature project. Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, African American Studies Program Director, and Professor Tokeya Graham of MCC’s English and Philosophy Departments, will present with the students. The general theme is, in part, a literary response to the “RACE: Are We So Different Exhibit” currently on display at the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
Evans was the President of Colgate Rochester Divinity School from 1990 to 2000. The pastor, educator, and scholar is currently the Robert K. Davies Professor of Systematic Theology at the Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School and Founding Pastor of St. Luke Tabernacle Community Church.
Additional forum sponsors include Fisher’s African American Studies Minor Program, English Department, and the College Bookstore.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference