African American Studies to Present Gathering of Griots Forum
The African American Studies Program, in conjunction with Monroe Community College, will host the 2013 Gathering of Griots Forum on Wednesday, March 20, at 2:30 p.m. in the St. John Fisher College COP Conference Room, located in the Campus Center.
The principal speaker, Dr. James Evans, Jr., will present “The African American Community and the Dilemma of the Black Literary Body.” Students from Fisher and MCC will present, “Interim Report from the Field: E-racing the Black Literary Body,” a collaborative African American Literature project. Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, African American Studies Program Director, and Professor Tokeya Graham of MCC’s English and Philosophy Departments, will present with the students. The general theme is, in part, a literary response to the “RACE: Are We So Different Exhibit” currently on display at the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
Evans was the President of Colgate Rochester Divinity School from 1990 to 2000. The pastor, educator, and scholar is currently the Robert K. Davies Professor of Systematic Theology at the Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School and Founding Pastor of St. Luke Tabernacle Community Church.
Additional forum sponsors include Fisher’s African American Studies Minor Program, English Department, and the College Bookstore.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year