African American Studies to Present Gathering of Griots Forum
The African American Studies Program, in conjunction with Monroe Community College, will host the 2013 Gathering of Griots Forum on Wednesday, March 20, at 2:30 p.m. in the St. John Fisher College COP Conference Room, located in the Campus Center.
The principal speaker, Dr. James Evans, Jr., will present “The African American Community and the Dilemma of the Black Literary Body.” Students from Fisher and MCC will present, “Interim Report from the Field: E-racing the Black Literary Body,” a collaborative African American Literature project. Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, African American Studies Program Director, and Professor Tokeya Graham of MCC’s English and Philosophy Departments, will present with the students. The general theme is, in part, a literary response to the “RACE: Are We So Different Exhibit” currently on display at the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
Evans was the President of Colgate Rochester Divinity School from 1990 to 2000. The pastor, educator, and scholar is currently the Robert K. Davies Professor of Systematic Theology at the Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School and Founding Pastor of St. Luke Tabernacle Community Church.
Additional forum sponsors include Fisher’s African American Studies Minor Program, English Department, and the College Bookstore.
Latest College News Stories
- Investment Club Students, Finance Pros Celebrate During Shareholders’ Report Dinner
- Relay for Life Celebrates, Remembers, and Fights Against Cancer
- Countdown to Commencement: Tyrese Bryant
- Dr. Theresa Westbay Named Interim Dean of St. John Fisher College School of Arts and Sciences
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year