Recent Grad Reaches Semi-Finals of Peace First Competition
Mohammad Husain Bawany '13 has been named a semi-finalist in the Peace First Prize competition, a national competition that showcases and rewards young people ages 18-22 who have worked towards making a difference in their own communities and beyond. Bawany, a religious studies and biology major while at Fisher, was nominated by the College for his peacemaking efforts and initiatives on campus.
As a student, Bawany worked with the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence as a Gandhi Service Fellow. As part of his fellowship, he organized the Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, an event that brought together 80 students and administrators from area colleges to the Fisher campus in order to engage in active dialogue regarding their various faith traditions.
Bawany also served as President of the College’s Muslim Student Association, and was a member of the Student Government Association Senate. He was the recipient of the College’s 2012 Jennifer Koon Courage Award for Peacemaking. In addition, he received the Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship in 2013, which is awarded to a student involved in Fisher clubs and organizations whose programs reflect a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and social justice.
“I am honored that Peace First has taken such interest in my peacemaking initiatives and has selected me as a semi-finalist for the Peace First Prize. To have my efforts taken in such high esteem has been a humbling experience. Through Peace First’s acknowledgement of my work, I have also been inspired to further dedicate myself to organizing and promoting community building and peacemaking initiatives,” said Bawany.
According to Peace First, the goal of the Prize is to “share daring work far and wide, invest in leadership, and inspire others to make peacemaking a part of their daily lives.”
In total, there will be five winners who will each receive a $50,000 Peace First Fellowship over two years to support the continuation of their peacemaking work, and contribute to their ongoing education and professional development. Winners will be announced this fall.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program