Teeter-Tottering for Girls and Women in Sports
The St. John Fisher College Sport Studies Department held a 12-hour teeter-totter marathon in the College's Campus Center to celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NGWSD) on February 2.
Students, faculty, and staff came out in big numbers to raise money for the National Association of Girls and Women in Sports. Some even came in costume!
By the end of 12 hours, the event raised over $700 for the Association, thanks to donations and t-shirt sales.
In conjunction with the marathon, the department also held the 2nd Annual NGWSD Essay Contest. Regional K-12 female students submitted essays related to play, sport, and general health issues. The number of contest entries doubled since last year's contest, and the winners included:
Grades 3, 4 and 5:
Lydia Blake, 3rd grade, Christ the King School
Grades 6, 7 and 8:
Madison Cardinal, 6th grade, Martha Brown Middle School
Cassandra Wolfanger, 11th grade, Avon Central School
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students