AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
A total of 70 students from St. John Fisher College, Niagara University, and the Rochester Institute of Technology attended the 2014 American Marketing Association (AMA) Rochester Professional Chapter Collegiate Conference at Fisher on Friday, February 21. The one-day conference hosted a slew of marketing professionals from around the country to provide career tips to students looking for a job within the industry. The main focus and event theme, “Hiring Managers are looking for critical thinkers, effective communicators, and problem solvers,” was evident throughout the presentations.
The day kicked off with a welcoming statement from Russ McDonald, AMA Rochester VP Collegiate Relations, and was then followed by a keynote presentation from Dawn Borgeest, Senior Vice President and Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at the United Way of Greater Rochester. Borgeest stressed the importance of professionalism and confidence while interviewing with potential employers.
Following this presentation was the first panel discussion of the day featuring Jim Byrnes, VP, CMO, Erdman Anthony; Jennifer Hamberger, CMO, Freed Maxick, CPAs, P.C.; JoAnn Linder, Director of Global Marketing Communications, Carestream Health; and Kevin Leysath, Recruiting, Xerox. The panel, moderated by Cathy Hines, President, Marketing Collaborative, LLC, discussed the value of marketing experiences and teamwork that can be listed on candidates’ résumés and portfolios.
“Through a recruiter’s perspective, you have to have the ability to work well with others. You have to be able to pull the strength out of yourself and the rest of your team,” said Leysath.
The next panel was described as “seasoned professionals of the new millennium” by moderator Barb Cote, Marketing Consultant, Cote Creative. The panelists included four successful marketing individuals that have thrived in the business world despite their young age. Claire Albertson, VP, Marketing Boardroom Development Partners; Michael Annechino, Business Intelligence Program Manager, iVediX; Ryan Marks, Social Insights Planner, Brand Networks; and Alex Weiser, Producer, Questioner, Content Strategist, Butler/Till; shared their experiences with job hopping and making the right career moves to better your future.
“Make your own path, no one is going to do it for you,” said Marks, “It’s all about the drive and how you can improve yourself to reach the next level.”
The day concluded with a presentation from Debra Goebeler, AIG National Marketing Director, Atlanta; emphasizing the value of every opportunity and the need to strive for success.
“I really enjoyed having the opportunity to discuss career dos and don’ts with marketing professionals from the industry. Their tips for success made this conference a very beneficial experience,” said Gina Godlewski, Marketing Major and Fisher AMA member.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship