St. John Fisher College’s Lavery Library Completes Frederick Douglass Collection Digitization Project
St. John Fisher College’s Lavery Library staff has completed digitizing the newspaper portion of the Library’s Frederick Douglass Collection, making 147 of his influential newspapers accessible to the community-at-large.
Last February, the Library received a grant from the Rochester Regional Library Council, which helped fund “Digitize the Oversize,” a project aimed at digitizing a variety of scrapbooks and historical newspapers from the Library’s Special Collections and Archives.
The project included the Library’s Frederick Douglass Newspaper Collection, which has 111 issues of the Frederick Douglass Paper, eight issues of The North Star, seven issues of the Douglass’ Monthly, and 21 issues of the New National Era.
Douglass, an abolitionist, spent 25 years of his life in Rochester, where he published The North Star, Frederick Douglass' Paper, and Douglass' Monthly. Lavery Library had the original copies of the newspapers, including a rare copy of The North Star published on February 22, 1850, where he incorporated an intricate drawing of a slave running to the North Star in the masthead.
The digital collection is housed on the New York Heritage website. New York Heritage is a project of the NY 3Rs Association, Inc., an organization that enables libraries to better serve their users through dynamic programs, innovative collaborations, and shared resources. New York Heritage is a research portal for students, educators, historians, genealogists, and anyone else who is interested in learning more about the people, places, and institutions of New York State.
“By placing the newspaper images on the New York Heritage site, these historical resources are available to anyone, anywhere. Not only can they be viewed and enlarged, they can be searched for specific names, ideas, and other information. It’s an invaluable tool for scholars and researchers alike,” said Melissa Jadlos, Director, Lavery Library.
WROC-TV Channel 8 interviewed Jadlos for a story on the project.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International