AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
The annual Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) was held at St. John Fisher College from June 30 – July 3, attracting 165 AP teachers from schools across New York State, outlying states, and even some from as far away as Turkey.
Dr. Linda Schlosser, Associate Professor of Education, serves as the Institute Director. Schlosser has a long history as a consultant to the College Board and has been directing an AP Summer Institute for years. She has directed it at Fisher for the past eight years, and has been its only director.
This year, the majority of the teachers hail from surrounding school districts, but several teachers traveled to Fisher from as far away as Tennessee, Iowa, and Nebraska. In addition, some came from Mexico, Canada, Japan, China, India, Thailand, and Turkey. While on campus, the teachers participated in workshops designed for both new and experienced teachers in Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature and Composition, Latin, Statistics, U.S. History, and World History.
“As the College Board continues to revise the AP courses and exams, professional development for teachers is an important opportunity for Fisher’s School of Education to provide service to our community and beyond. It also enables us to showcase our campus to teachers who work with college-bound high school students,” said Schlosser.
This year, the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education will be offering its first AP Scholarships to entering teacher education candidates who have successfully completed an AP course in high school using proceeds from the Institute.
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education is a sponsor of the Institute, which is also fully endorsed by the Advanced Placement Program of The College Board.
An AP biology teacher experiences the new lab requirements to better prepare their students for next year's exam.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom