College Dedicates Victor E. Salerno Center for American Enterprise
St. John Fisher College officials held a ribbon-cutting and dedication event on Tuesday, September 24, to formally open the Victor E. Salerno Center for American Enterprise, the new home for the College’s School of Business. Dr. Donald Bain, President; Victor E. Salerno ’66, CEO of O’Connell Electric and Chair of the College’s Board of Trustees; Dr. David Martin, Dean of the School of Business; and several faculty, staff, and business students cut the ribbon, symbolizing the continued growth of the business program and the College overall.
In December of 2011, the College announced the largest gift it had ever received from an alumnus when Salerno gave $2 million to fund the Salerno Center.
Construction on the 27,000-square-foot building began in June of 2012, and was completed in time for this academic year. It features a mock trading room, an LED ticker streaming real-time financial data, large classrooms, a computer lab, and faculty offices. It also includes several student study areas, new for business students whose classes previously took place in Kearney Hall, the College’s original building.
“The Salerno Center for American Enterprise has already become a hub of activity on campus, and has been fully embraced by our business faculty and students as a modern, cutting-edge building that will absolutely lead our students into the future of the business world,” said Bain. “This generous gift comes at a time when we’re implementing the College’s strategic plan, and it supports our goal of creating a dedicated environment for business students, faculty, and community leaders to learn, collaborate, and engage with one another. We are very grateful to Vic for his leadership and dedication to the College through the years, and we look forward to watching our business students continue to thrive in their new home.”
Salerno graduated from Fisher in 1966 with a BBA in accounting. He began his career with a predecessor firm of Deloitte & Touche, LLP, where he spent five years as an audit, tax, and business advisory specialist. He joined O’Connell Electric in 1971, where he has remained instrumental in the company’s year-over-year growth as well as the expansion of its service offerings. As CEO, his leadership is characterized by an infectious passion for business, fostering trusting partnerships with customers, and building strong relationships among his employees.
“My family and I are very proud of this facility and extremely pleased to play a part in the success that St. John Fisher College students will achieve well into the future,” said Salerno. “It is our hope that the education originating inside these walls will have a great impact on our community and will pay dividends for our region for decades to come. We especially look forward to helping continue the entrepreneurial spirit which is so vital for all those who strive for the American dream.”
The ribbon is officially cut!
From L to R: Dr. Randy Krieg, Provost; Eileen and Vic Salerno; President Bain.
President Bain makes remarks.
Latest College News Stories
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members