Cardinals Crush Courage Bowl IX
The sun was shining, the bleachers were full, and the St. John Fisher College football team came to Growney Stadium to win on Saturday. And win they did. The team scored 41 unanswered points in the second quarter alone, and defeated Empire 8 rival Alfred University 48-13 in the ninth annual Courage Bowl.
With touchdowns by Dan Rudy, Nathan Nigolian, Brandon Fuentes, Mike Donitzen, and Cody Miller-who had three touchdowns in the game-the Cardinals crushed the Saxons for the much-anticipated game, but gave the fans so much more than a win.
Honorary Camp Good Days and Special Times coaches Anders Swanson, Ben Hammond, and Joseph Mayer had the chance to practice and warm up with the team, and enjoyed cheering from the sidelines during the entire game. Honorary Camp Good Days cheerleaders Lauren Miller, Kayla Tiedeman, and Sydney Kreschenko pre-gamed with the Fisher cheerleading squad, and cheered their hearts out each time a Cardinal scored a touchdown.
Fans close to the Fisher sideline even had a chance to get a look at some of the heartwarming banter the players had with their young coaches, all whom are battling cancer. Those moments were some of the biggest scores of the day.
After the game, the Teddi Dance for Love Committee had a 24-minute mini-dance marathon in honor of the upcoming Teddi Dance on February 21, 2014. They also held a successful Sticky Lips BBQ fundraiser throughout the game. All proceeds from the Courage Bowl events will benefit the children and families of Camp Good Days.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced