Cardinals Crush Courage Bowl IX
The sun was shining, the bleachers were full, and the St. John Fisher College football team came to Growney Stadium to win on Saturday. And win they did. The team scored 41 unanswered points in the second quarter alone, and defeated Empire 8 rival Alfred University 48-13 in the ninth annual Courage Bowl.
With touchdowns by Dan Rudy, Nathan Nigolian, Brandon Fuentes, Mike Donitzen, and Cody Miller-who had three touchdowns in the game-the Cardinals crushed the Saxons for the much-anticipated game, but gave the fans so much more than a win.
Honorary Camp Good Days and Special Times coaches Anders Swanson, Ben Hammond, and Joseph Mayer had the chance to practice and warm up with the team, and enjoyed cheering from the sidelines during the entire game. Honorary Camp Good Days cheerleaders Lauren Miller, Kayla Tiedeman, and Sydney Kreschenko pre-gamed with the Fisher cheerleading squad, and cheered their hearts out each time a Cardinal scored a touchdown.
Fans close to the Fisher sideline even had a chance to get a look at some of the heartwarming banter the players had with their young coaches, all whom are battling cancer. Those moments were some of the biggest scores of the day.
After the game, the Teddi Dance for Love Committee had a 24-minute mini-dance marathon in honor of the upcoming Teddi Dance on February 21, 2014. They also held a successful Sticky Lips BBQ fundraiser throughout the game. All proceeds from the Courage Bowl events will benefit the children and families of Camp Good Days.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice