Fisher Students Compete in PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax Competition
On Friday, November 8, 39 St. John Fisher College accounting students competed in the annual PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) tax competition, sponsored by PwC. Fisher is one of 90 colleges from around the country selected to participate.
There were a total of eight Fisher teams competing, and each team had faculty and PwC mentors assigned to them. PwC gave the teams a real-life case that they would receive working in an accounting firm, and they had two weeks to work as a group to develop a solution and a presentation. The presentations were to be 12 minutes in length, and students presented to a panel of judges from the local office of PwC.
The teams included:
After hours of competition, the panel announced that the winning team was Team 3 (Brian Johnson, Jessica Martinez, Jen Agan, Kyle Volo, and Marissa Budwey). The team mentors were Christina Spindler and Michael Messenger. The second place team was Team 5 (Anthony Venette, Maria Siler, Brendan Hughes, and Jadon O'Donnell), and the team mentors were Lynn Mucenski-Keck and Andrew Bowlby.
The winning team received a $1,000 cash prize from PwC. In addition, a video of their presentation will be submitted to PwC’s national headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the opportunity to compete in round two. Five presentations are chosen for the third and final round, and those teams will win a $10,000 cash prize and the chance to present at PwC in Washington.
(From L to R): Jessica Martinez, Christina Spindler, Kyle Volo, Jen Agan, Marissa Budwey, Brian Johnson, and Matt Parrilli.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year