Fisher Students Compete in PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax Competition
On Friday, November 8, 39 St. John Fisher College accounting students competed in the annual PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) tax competition, sponsored by PwC. Fisher is one of 90 colleges from around the country selected to participate.
There were a total of eight Fisher teams competing, and each team had faculty and PwC mentors assigned to them. PwC gave the teams a real-life case that they would receive working in an accounting firm, and they had two weeks to work as a group to develop a solution and a presentation. The presentations were to be 12 minutes in length, and students presented to a panel of judges from the local office of PwC.
The teams included:
After hours of competition, the panel announced that the winning team was Team 3 (Brian Johnson, Jessica Martinez, Jen Agan, Kyle Volo, and Marissa Budwey). The team mentors were Christina Spindler and Michael Messenger. The second place team was Team 5 (Anthony Venette, Maria Siler, Brendan Hughes, and Jadon O'Donnell), and the team mentors were Lynn Mucenski-Keck and Andrew Bowlby.
The winning team received a $1,000 cash prize from PwC. In addition, a video of their presentation will be submitted to PwC’s national headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the opportunity to compete in round two. Five presentations are chosen for the third and final round, and those teams will win a $10,000 cash prize and the chance to present at PwC in Washington.
(From L to R): Jessica Martinez, Christina Spindler, Kyle Volo, Jen Agan, Marissa Budwey, Brian Johnson, and Matt Parrilli.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems