Fisher Students Compete in PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax Competition
On Friday, November 8, 39 St. John Fisher College accounting students competed in the annual PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) tax competition, sponsored by PwC. Fisher is one of 90 colleges from around the country selected to participate.
There were a total of eight Fisher teams competing, and each team had faculty and PwC mentors assigned to them. PwC gave the teams a real-life case that they would receive working in an accounting firm, and they had two weeks to work as a group to develop a solution and a presentation. The presentations were to be 12 minutes in length, and students presented to a panel of judges from the local office of PwC.
The teams included:
After hours of competition, the panel announced that the winning team was Team 3 (Brian Johnson, Jessica Martinez, Jen Agan, Kyle Volo, and Marissa Budwey). The team mentors were Christina Spindler and Michael Messenger. The second place team was Team 5 (Anthony Venette, Maria Siler, Brendan Hughes, and Jadon O'Donnell), and the team mentors were Lynn Mucenski-Keck and Andrew Bowlby.
The winning team received a $1,000 cash prize from PwC. In addition, a video of their presentation will be submitted to PwC’s national headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the opportunity to compete in round two. Five presentations are chosen for the third and final round, and those teams will win a $10,000 cash prize and the chance to present at PwC in Washington.
(From L to R): Jessica Martinez, Christina Spindler, Kyle Volo, Jen Agan, Marissa Budwey, Brian Johnson, and Matt Parrilli.
Latest College News Stories
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic