Fisher Students Compete in PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax Competition
On Friday, November 8, 39 St. John Fisher College accounting students competed in the annual PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) tax competition, sponsored by PwC. Fisher is one of 90 colleges from around the country selected to participate.
There were a total of eight Fisher teams competing, and each team had faculty and PwC mentors assigned to them. PwC gave the teams a real-life case that they would receive working in an accounting firm, and they had two weeks to work as a group to develop a solution and a presentation. The presentations were to be 12 minutes in length, and students presented to a panel of judges from the local office of PwC.
The teams included:
After hours of competition, the panel announced that the winning team was Team 3 (Brian Johnson, Jessica Martinez, Jen Agan, Kyle Volo, and Marissa Budwey). The team mentors were Christina Spindler and Michael Messenger. The second place team was Team 5 (Anthony Venette, Maria Siler, Brendan Hughes, and Jadon O'Donnell), and the team mentors were Lynn Mucenski-Keck and Andrew Bowlby.
The winning team received a $1,000 cash prize from PwC. In addition, a video of their presentation will be submitted to PwC’s national headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the opportunity to compete in round two. Five presentations are chosen for the third and final round, and those teams will win a $10,000 cash prize and the chance to present at PwC in Washington.
(From L to R): Jessica Martinez, Christina Spindler, Kyle Volo, Jen Agan, Marissa Budwey, Brian Johnson, and Matt Parrilli.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International