Fisher Students Compete in PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax Competition
On Friday, November 8, 39 St. John Fisher College accounting students competed in the annual PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) tax competition, sponsored by PwC. Fisher is one of 90 colleges from around the country selected to participate.
There were a total of eight Fisher teams competing, and each team had faculty and PwC mentors assigned to them. PwC gave the teams a real-life case that they would receive working in an accounting firm, and they had two weeks to work as a group to develop a solution and a presentation. The presentations were to be 12 minutes in length, and students presented to a panel of judges from the local office of PwC.
The teams included:
After hours of competition, the panel announced that the winning team was Team 3 (Brian Johnson, Jessica Martinez, Jen Agan, Kyle Volo, and Marissa Budwey). The team mentors were Christina Spindler and Michael Messenger. The second place team was Team 5 (Anthony Venette, Maria Siler, Brendan Hughes, and Jadon O'Donnell), and the team mentors were Lynn Mucenski-Keck and Andrew Bowlby.
The winning team received a $1,000 cash prize from PwC. In addition, a video of their presentation will be submitted to PwC’s national headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the opportunity to compete in round two. Five presentations are chosen for the third and final round, and those teams will win a $10,000 cash prize and the chance to present at PwC in Washington.
(From L to R): Jessica Martinez, Christina Spindler, Kyle Volo, Jen Agan, Marissa Budwey, Brian Johnson, and Matt Parrilli.
Latest College News Stories
- Marketing Club Plans Robust Marketing Week, Open to Campus Community
- Gandhi Wins Szarejko Information Literacy Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Tessoni '69 Receives Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State