Countdown to Commencement Video Series
This week's "Countdown to Commencement" video features Zach Mills, a biology major from Rochester. He was nominated by two of his professors, Dr. Edward Freeman and Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta of the Biology Department.
Mills is a First Generation Scholar, and has completed over 240 hours of community service including project leader for the adopt-a-family program during his sophomore year. His service has included painting inner city classrooms, tutoring, participation in several walk fundraisers, and assisting with Special Olympic bowling. In addition, he has been a speaker at six open houses on behalf of the First Generation Scholarship program.
According to Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta, Mills is "an incredibly outgoing and engaging person. He is very open about his passion for St. John Fisher College, and truly considers the Fisher community his family." They also said that because of his friendly nature, he has made strong connections within the Biology Department and in other disciplines.
In their nomination form, Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta also said, "Zach is an outstanding ambassador for the First Generation Scholars Program. He embodies the type of student we hope to admit to the program, and personifies the growth that the program is designed to provide to recipients."
This fall, Mills will be a student again, but this time in the State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Dental Medicine. He says he plans to come back to Rochester to start a practice, and also plans to be an active alum!
Meet our featured senior, Zach Mills! Good luck to you!
Latest College News Stories
- Education Professor Elected to Board of American Council for Rural Special Education
- Relay Unites Campus in Fight Against Cancer
- Legal Studies Program Honors Dr. Bain
- Student Entrepreneurs Present Ideas at Business Plan Competition
- Student Work Featured on Local Radio Station
- Alumni of Color Dinner Celebrates Seniors
- PCC Volunteer Program Celebrates 10 Years
- Investment Club Earns First Place Finish in Adirondack Cup Challenge
- SGA Honors Students, Faculty, Staff during Awards Ceremony
- Boev’s Research on Nurse-Physician Collaboration Featured in Publications
- Education Alum Named to Editorial Board of Lower Hudson Newspaper
- Nursing Student Attends Health Policy Conference
- Education Alumna Honored by National Organization
- Undergrads Present at Literature and Composition Conference
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized during Reception