Countdown to Commencement Video Series
This week's "Countdown to Commencement" video features Zach Mills, a biology major from Rochester. He was nominated by two of his professors, Dr. Edward Freeman and Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta of the Biology Department.
Mills is a First Generation Scholar, and has completed over 240 hours of community service including project leader for the adopt-a-family program during his sophomore year. His service has included painting inner city classrooms, tutoring, participation in several walk fundraisers, and assisting with Special Olympic bowling. In addition, he has been a speaker at six open houses on behalf of the First Generation Scholarship program.
According to Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta, Mills is "an incredibly outgoing and engaging person. He is very open about his passion for St. John Fisher College, and truly considers the Fisher community his family." They also said that because of his friendly nature, he has made strong connections within the Biology Department and in other disciplines.
In their nomination form, Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta also said, "Zach is an outstanding ambassador for the First Generation Scholars Program. He embodies the type of student we hope to admit to the program, and personifies the growth that the program is designed to provide to recipients."
This fall, Mills will be a student again, but this time in the State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Dental Medicine. He says he plans to come back to Rochester to start a practice, and also plans to be an active alum!
Meet our featured senior, Zach Mills! Good luck to you!
Latest College News Stories
- Breakfast at Fisher with Santa
- College Debuts New TV Commercials
- Rice Elected to American Studies Association Committee
- Faculty Recognized for Grants
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight