Countdown to Commencement Video Series
This week's "Countdown to Commencement" video features Zach Mills, a biology major from Rochester. He was nominated by two of his professors, Dr. Edward Freeman and Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta of the Biology Department.
Mills is a First Generation Scholar, and has completed over 240 hours of community service including project leader for the adopt-a-family program during his sophomore year. His service has included painting inner city classrooms, tutoring, participation in several walk fundraisers, and assisting with Special Olympic bowling. In addition, he has been a speaker at six open houses on behalf of the First Generation Scholarship program.
According to Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta, Mills is "an incredibly outgoing and engaging person. He is very open about his passion for St. John Fisher College, and truly considers the Fisher community his family." They also said that because of his friendly nature, he has made strong connections within the Biology Department and in other disciplines.
In their nomination form, Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta also said, "Zach is an outstanding ambassador for the First Generation Scholars Program. He embodies the type of student we hope to admit to the program, and personifies the growth that the program is designed to provide to recipients."
This fall, Mills will be a student again, but this time in the State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Dental Medicine. He says he plans to come back to Rochester to start a practice, and also plans to be an active alum!
Meet our featured senior, Zach Mills! Good luck to you!
Latest College News Stories
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic
- "Smash the Scale" on National Love Your Body Day
- From Dancing Shoes to Running Shoes: Teddi Trot Coming October 25
- “Lisa Kindel, You Are An Ironman!”