Countdown to Commencement Video Series
This week's "Countdown to Commencement" video features Zach Mills, a biology major from Rochester. He was nominated by two of his professors, Dr. Edward Freeman and Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta of the Biology Department.
Mills is a First Generation Scholar, and has completed over 240 hours of community service including project leader for the adopt-a-family program during his sophomore year. His service has included painting inner city classrooms, tutoring, participation in several walk fundraisers, and assisting with Special Olympic bowling. In addition, he has been a speaker at six open houses on behalf of the First Generation Scholarship program.
According to Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta, Mills is "an incredibly outgoing and engaging person. He is very open about his passion for St. John Fisher College, and truly considers the Fisher community his family." They also said that because of his friendly nature, he has made strong connections within the Biology Department and in other disciplines.
In their nomination form, Drs. Freeman and Lynd-Balta also said, "Zach is an outstanding ambassador for the First Generation Scholars Program. He embodies the type of student we hope to admit to the program, and personifies the growth that the program is designed to provide to recipients."
This fall, Mills will be a student again, but this time in the State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Dental Medicine. He says he plans to come back to Rochester to start a practice, and also plans to be an active alum!
Meet our featured senior, Zach Mills! Good luck to you!
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference