2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
This Saturday, December 7, will mark the 14th Annual Day of Celebration, hosted by the St. John Fisher College Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs.
The all-day, campus-wide festival will showcase holiday celebrations from various races, cultures, ethnicities, and traditions. These observations include Kwanzaa, Three Kings, Hanukkah, Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Ramadan. This year, the focus of the Day of Celebration is the Egyptian culture.
Festivities will include a cultural marketplace area and stage in Kearney Hall’s Cleary Family Auditorium from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., featuring dance, music, displays, food, and “make it and take it” arts and crafts. Student co-chairs Loriane Ngarambe and Tyana Velazquez will provide opening remarks. Performances will be provided by the University of Rochester Belly Dancing group, Shaq Poetry Group, Arts in Motion, MJ Swing Birds, Panama Dance Group, Odasz Dance Theatre/Western New York Ballet, and more. The marketplace is free and open to the public.
The day will conclude with the Kwanzaa Karamu (Dinner) Celebration from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Campus Center Mainstage, a ticketed event.
Event sponsors include the Arts Club, Arts in Motion, Black Student Union, Office of Campus Life, Lackmann Dining Services, Latino Student Union, Muslim Student Association, Office of Safety and Security, Student Government Association, Students of Multicultural Affairs, Yearbook Club, and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity.
For more information about the event, contact the Office of Multicultural and Diversity Programs at (585) 385-8378 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International