2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
This Saturday, December 7, will mark the 14th Annual Day of Celebration, hosted by the St. John Fisher College Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs.
The all-day, campus-wide festival will showcase holiday celebrations from various races, cultures, ethnicities, and traditions. These observations include Kwanzaa, Three Kings, Hanukkah, Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Ramadan. This year, the focus of the Day of Celebration is the Egyptian culture.
Festivities will include a cultural marketplace area and stage in Kearney Hall’s Cleary Family Auditorium from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., featuring dance, music, displays, food, and “make it and take it” arts and crafts. Student co-chairs Loriane Ngarambe and Tyana Velazquez will provide opening remarks. Performances will be provided by the University of Rochester Belly Dancing group, Shaq Poetry Group, Arts in Motion, MJ Swing Birds, Panama Dance Group, Odasz Dance Theatre/Western New York Ballet, and more. The marketplace is free and open to the public.
The day will conclude with the Kwanzaa Karamu (Dinner) Celebration from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Campus Center Mainstage, a ticketed event.
Event sponsors include the Arts Club, Arts in Motion, Black Student Union, Office of Campus Life, Lackmann Dining Services, Latino Student Union, Muslim Student Association, Office of Safety and Security, Student Government Association, Students of Multicultural Affairs, Yearbook Club, and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity.
For more information about the event, contact the Office of Multicultural and Diversity Programs at (585) 385-8378 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner
- Community Benefits from 2014 Project Community Convergence