Biology Majors Present at Regional Meeting
Five Biology majors presented their research at a recent regional meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), which took place in Buffalo.
Students Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia presented “Do Bacterial Symbionts Influence Gut Epithelial Cell Junction Integrity?” The pair was mentored by Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor. Teddy Ruff’s poster was entitled, “Analysis of the Presence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in Athletic Facilities,” and he was mentored by Dr. Kristin Picardo, Interim Department Chair and Associate Professor. And Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster presented, “Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Among a Population of Students at St. John Fisher College.” They were mentored by Dr. Theresa Westbay, Associate Professor, along with Picardo.
According to Picardo, the Fisher students were the only undergraduates to present their work at the conference, and all other poster presenters were graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
The scientific meeting is attended by experts in the field of microbiology, infectious disease, and immunology. The ASM is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. There are more than 39,000 society members from around the globe. The members represent 26 disciplines of microbiological specialization plus a division for microbiology educators.
Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia at the meeting.
Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster with their poster.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins