Biology Majors Present at Regional Meeting
Five Biology majors presented their research at a recent regional meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), which took place in Buffalo.
Students Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia presented “Do Bacterial Symbionts Influence Gut Epithelial Cell Junction Integrity?” The pair was mentored by Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor. Teddy Ruff’s poster was entitled, “Analysis of the Presence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in Athletic Facilities,” and he was mentored by Dr. Kristin Picardo, Interim Department Chair and Associate Professor. And Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster presented, “Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Among a Population of Students at St. John Fisher College.” They were mentored by Dr. Theresa Westbay, Associate Professor, along with Picardo.
According to Picardo, the Fisher students were the only undergraduates to present their work at the conference, and all other poster presenters were graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
The scientific meeting is attended by experts in the field of microbiology, infectious disease, and immunology. The ASM is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. There are more than 39,000 society members from around the globe. The members represent 26 disciplines of microbiological specialization plus a division for microbiology educators.
Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia at the meeting.
Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster with their poster.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International