Biology Majors Present at Regional Meeting
Five Biology majors presented their research at a recent regional meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), which took place in Buffalo.
Students Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia presented “Do Bacterial Symbionts Influence Gut Epithelial Cell Junction Integrity?” The pair was mentored by Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor. Teddy Ruff’s poster was entitled, “Analysis of the Presence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in Athletic Facilities,” and he was mentored by Dr. Kristin Picardo, Interim Department Chair and Associate Professor. And Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster presented, “Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Among a Population of Students at St. John Fisher College.” They were mentored by Dr. Theresa Westbay, Associate Professor, along with Picardo.
According to Picardo, the Fisher students were the only undergraduates to present their work at the conference, and all other poster presenters were graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
The scientific meeting is attended by experts in the field of microbiology, infectious disease, and immunology. The ASM is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. There are more than 39,000 society members from around the globe. The members represent 26 disciplines of microbiological specialization plus a division for microbiology educators.
Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia at the meeting.
Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster with their poster.
Latest College News Stories
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff