Biology Majors Present at Regional Meeting
Five Biology majors presented their research at a recent regional meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), which took place in Buffalo.
Students Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia presented “Do Bacterial Symbionts Influence Gut Epithelial Cell Junction Integrity?” The pair was mentored by Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor. Teddy Ruff’s poster was entitled, “Analysis of the Presence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in Athletic Facilities,” and he was mentored by Dr. Kristin Picardo, Interim Department Chair and Associate Professor. And Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster presented, “Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Among a Population of Students at St. John Fisher College.” They were mentored by Dr. Theresa Westbay, Associate Professor, along with Picardo.
According to Picardo, the Fisher students were the only undergraduates to present their work at the conference, and all other poster presenters were graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
The scientific meeting is attended by experts in the field of microbiology, infectious disease, and immunology. The ASM is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. There are more than 39,000 society members from around the globe. The members represent 26 disciplines of microbiological specialization plus a division for microbiology educators.
Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia at the meeting.
Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster with their poster.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year