Biology Majors Present at Regional Meeting
Five Biology majors presented their research at a recent regional meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), which took place in Buffalo.
Students Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia presented “Do Bacterial Symbionts Influence Gut Epithelial Cell Junction Integrity?” The pair was mentored by Dr. Edward Freeman, Associate Professor. Teddy Ruff’s poster was entitled, “Analysis of the Presence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in Athletic Facilities,” and he was mentored by Dr. Kristin Picardo, Interim Department Chair and Associate Professor. And Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster presented, “Prevalence of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Among a Population of Students at St. John Fisher College.” They were mentored by Dr. Theresa Westbay, Associate Professor, along with Picardo.
According to Picardo, the Fisher students were the only undergraduates to present their work at the conference, and all other poster presenters were graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
The scientific meeting is attended by experts in the field of microbiology, infectious disease, and immunology. The ASM is the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world. There are more than 39,000 society members from around the globe. The members represent 26 disciplines of microbiological specialization plus a division for microbiology educators.
Michael Carroll and Bob Battaglia at the meeting.
Jennifer Rath and Jillian Foster with their poster.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”