Lavery Library Hosts Upstate NY Science Librarians Annual Meeting
On Friday November 4, the St. John Fisher College Lavery Library hosted the Upstate New York Science Librarians Annual Meeting. Forty science librarians from academic libraries, as well as corporate libraries and private firms attended. This is the first time the meeting has been held at a small liberal arts institution since the group’s inception in 1996.
Dr. Lynn Donahue, Coordinator, Service-Learning Initiative and Center for Experiential Learning, along with Drs. Irene Kimaru and Kimberly Chichester of the Chemistry Department, served as the keynote speakers.
The presentation focused on defining service-learning, its history at Fisher, and the extent of the program. The initiative is funded by Learn and Serve America, and the goal is to impact communities in health, youth, and housing, and to help students meet course goals while gaining professional and civic skills. They also focused on the initiative’s impact on students, faculty, and the community partners. Kimaru and Chichester discussed how they have incorporated service-learning into their Analytical Chemistry Lab, where students are conducting water analysis of the Genesee River in partnership with the Monroe County Department of the Environment. In addition, they are conducting soil testing of the Plymouth/Exchange neighborhood.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice