Lavery Library Hosts Upstate NY Science Librarians Annual Meeting
On Friday November 4, the St. John Fisher College Lavery Library hosted the Upstate New York Science Librarians Annual Meeting. Forty science librarians from academic libraries, as well as corporate libraries and private firms attended. This is the first time the meeting has been held at a small liberal arts institution since the group’s inception in 1996.
Dr. Lynn Donahue, Coordinator, Service-Learning Initiative and Center for Experiential Learning, along with Drs. Irene Kimaru and Kimberly Chichester of the Chemistry Department, served as the keynote speakers.
The presentation focused on defining service-learning, its history at Fisher, and the extent of the program. The initiative is funded by Learn and Serve America, and the goal is to impact communities in health, youth, and housing, and to help students meet course goals while gaining professional and civic skills. They also focused on the initiative’s impact on students, faculty, and the community partners. Kimaru and Chichester discussed how they have incorporated service-learning into their Analytical Chemistry Lab, where students are conducting water analysis of the Genesee River in partnership with the Monroe County Department of the Environment. In addition, they are conducting soil testing of the Plymouth/Exchange neighborhood.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International