Lavery Library Hosts Upstate NY Science Librarians Annual Meeting
On Friday November 4, the St. John Fisher College Lavery Library hosted the Upstate New York Science Librarians Annual Meeting. Forty science librarians from academic libraries, as well as corporate libraries and private firms attended. This is the first time the meeting has been held at a small liberal arts institution since the group’s inception in 1996.
Dr. Lynn Donahue, Coordinator, Service-Learning Initiative and Center for Experiential Learning, along with Drs. Irene Kimaru and Kimberly Chichester of the Chemistry Department, served as the keynote speakers.
The presentation focused on defining service-learning, its history at Fisher, and the extent of the program. The initiative is funded by Learn and Serve America, and the goal is to impact communities in health, youth, and housing, and to help students meet course goals while gaining professional and civic skills. They also focused on the initiative’s impact on students, faculty, and the community partners. Kimaru and Chichester discussed how they have incorporated service-learning into their Analytical Chemistry Lab, where students are conducting water analysis of the Genesee River in partnership with the Monroe County Department of the Environment. In addition, they are conducting soil testing of the Plymouth/Exchange neighborhood.
Latest College News Stories
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!