Lavery Library Hosts Upstate NY Science Librarians Annual Meeting
On Friday November 4, the St. John Fisher College Lavery Library hosted the Upstate New York Science Librarians Annual Meeting. Forty science librarians from academic libraries, as well as corporate libraries and private firms attended. This is the first time the meeting has been held at a small liberal arts institution since the group’s inception in 1996.
Dr. Lynn Donahue, Coordinator, Service-Learning Initiative and Center for Experiential Learning, along with Drs. Irene Kimaru and Kimberly Chichester of the Chemistry Department, served as the keynote speakers.
The presentation focused on defining service-learning, its history at Fisher, and the extent of the program. The initiative is funded by Learn and Serve America, and the goal is to impact communities in health, youth, and housing, and to help students meet course goals while gaining professional and civic skills. They also focused on the initiative’s impact on students, faculty, and the community partners. Kimaru and Chichester discussed how they have incorporated service-learning into their Analytical Chemistry Lab, where students are conducting water analysis of the Genesee River in partnership with the Monroe County Department of the Environment. In addition, they are conducting soil testing of the Plymouth/Exchange neighborhood.
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards
- “Undergraduate Review” Now Available Online