Lavery Library Hosts Upstate NY Science Librarians Annual Meeting
On Friday November 4, the St. John Fisher College Lavery Library hosted the Upstate New York Science Librarians Annual Meeting. Forty science librarians from academic libraries, as well as corporate libraries and private firms attended. This is the first time the meeting has been held at a small liberal arts institution since the group’s inception in 1996.
Dr. Lynn Donahue, Coordinator, Service-Learning Initiative and Center for Experiential Learning, along with Drs. Irene Kimaru and Kimberly Chichester of the Chemistry Department, served as the keynote speakers.
The presentation focused on defining service-learning, its history at Fisher, and the extent of the program. The initiative is funded by Learn and Serve America, and the goal is to impact communities in health, youth, and housing, and to help students meet course goals while gaining professional and civic skills. They also focused on the initiative’s impact on students, faculty, and the community partners. Kimaru and Chichester discussed how they have incorporated service-learning into their Analytical Chemistry Lab, where students are conducting water analysis of the Genesee River in partnership with the Monroe County Department of the Environment. In addition, they are conducting soil testing of the Plymouth/Exchange neighborhood.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair