32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
Hundreds of pairs of feet are finally up and resting after 24 hours of straight dancing to raise money for Camp Good Days and Special Times. Fisher students, faculty, staff, along with Camp Good Days volunteers and campers, danced an entire day away for the 32nd year in a row this weekend at the Teddi Dance for Love.
There was something for everyone to enjoy with themed hours ranging from Boy band hour, Jock jams hour, Diva hour, Senior hour, Top Pop hour, and more. Participants also enjoyed live performances from Ball in the House; Measure 13, the College’s a cappella group; Arts in Motion, the College’s dance group; and the Fisher faculty band, Big Tuna and the Fishermen. In the end, the event, which is the longest-standing student tradition at the College, raised a total of $63,614 for Camp Good Days. This year’s event was led by Jenny Keeler, chair, and Olivia Gosdeck, co-chair, along with a 104-member committee.
The event also included a hair donation component. The committee worked with Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths campaign, offering free haircuts and a “before” and “after” reveal on stage. In total, over 1,900 inches of hair was donated to the organization.
When the dance comes to a close every year, the chair recognizes the individual for whom the event is dedicated. This year, the honoree was Sam Parker, a former Camp Good Days camper who lost his battle in November 2013. A touching ceremony and balloon launch were held in Parker’s memory.
During the closing ceremony, students were joined by Dr. Bain and Gary Mervis, the founder of Camp Good Days and Special Times, and father of the event’s namesake, Teddi Mervis.
"I want you to always remember how you feel right now. This moment is as much of a part of your education as sitting in a chemistry or marketing class," said Mervis. "You gave it all you got, and on behalf of everyone at Camp Good Days, I want to say congratulations, thank you, and job well done."
2014 Teddi Committee, the largest in event history
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades