They "Survived Sashi"
Students have been spotted around campus wearing new apparel that sports a certain professor’s face. The “I Survived Sashi” t-shirts, created by the College’s American Marketing Association (AMA) chapter in honor of Dr. Hemant Sashittal, Professor and Chair of the Department of Management/Marketing, have been selling faster than coffee at Cyber Café.
Alison Taylor, President of the AMA chapter, said the idea came about during one of Dr. Monica Hodis’s classes.
“Students claimed they had already ‘survived Sashi.’ Dr. Hodis brought the idea to the club, and we decided to turn it into a t-shirt,” said Taylor.
Jessica Zepp, a senior business student and AMA member, designed the t-shirt — a design approved with two thumbs up by “Sashi” himself.
“I warned them, ‘I have a face for radio; no one is going to buy a t-shirt with my mug shot,’” joked Sashittal.
The t-shirts come in white, hot pink, and neon yellow. Short sleeve t-shirts are $12 each, or two for $20, and long sleeve shirts are $15. As an extra perk, Sashittal will sign shirts for those students who received an “A” in his class.
Taylor, a Sashi survivor herself, said his class was terrifying, but in the end, beneficial.
“I found the class intimidating, but I also took the most out of that class and I believe I will apply it in a future marketing job. The research process he teaches us allows us to implement skills from Statistics, MSTI 130, writing classes, and marketing classes all into one, and the class made me think way outside of the box,” she said.
Sashittal said he feels lucky to get talented students in his classroom year after year at Fisher.
“When they are pushed hard – and I do push them hard – they rise up to the challenge and do something fantastic. The honor is all mine,” he said.
T-shirt sales take place in the Salerno Center lobby on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-8:00 p.m., and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The chapter sells the shirts at its new “Fuel for Thought” snack table. All proceeds will be put towards the chapter’s trip to the AMA International Collegiate Conference in April 2014.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students