They "Survived Sashi"
Students have been spotted around campus wearing new apparel that sports a certain professor’s face. The “I Survived Sashi” t-shirts, created by the College’s American Marketing Association (AMA) chapter in honor of Dr. Hemant Sashittal, Professor and Chair of the Department of Management/Marketing, have been selling faster than coffee at Cyber Café.
Alison Taylor, President of the AMA chapter, said the idea came about during one of Dr. Monica Hodis’s classes.
“Students claimed they had already ‘survived Sashi.’ Dr. Hodis brought the idea to the club, and we decided to turn it into a t-shirt,” said Taylor.
Jessica Zepp, a senior business student and AMA member, designed the t-shirt — a design approved with two thumbs up by “Sashi” himself.
“I warned them, ‘I have a face for radio; no one is going to buy a t-shirt with my mug shot,’” joked Sashittal.
The t-shirts come in white, hot pink, and neon yellow. Short sleeve t-shirts are $12 each, or two for $20, and long sleeve shirts are $15. As an extra perk, Sashittal will sign shirts for those students who received an “A” in his class.
Taylor, a Sashi survivor herself, said his class was terrifying, but in the end, beneficial.
“I found the class intimidating, but I also took the most out of that class and I believe I will apply it in a future marketing job. The research process he teaches us allows us to implement skills from Statistics, MSTI 130, writing classes, and marketing classes all into one, and the class made me think way outside of the box,” she said.
Sashittal said he feels lucky to get talented students in his classroom year after year at Fisher.
“When they are pushed hard – and I do push them hard – they rise up to the challenge and do something fantastic. The honor is all mine,” he said.
T-shirt sales take place in the Salerno Center lobby on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-8:00 p.m., and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The chapter sells the shirts at its new “Fuel for Thought” snack table. All proceeds will be put towards the chapter’s trip to the AMA International Collegiate Conference in April 2014.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference