Cardinals Win Courage Bowl Against University of Rochester for Last Time
It was a nail-biter of a game, but the St. John Fisher College Cardinals managed to squeak another Courage Bowl win, beating the University of Rochester Yellowjackets 20-16 in Saturday’s game. The win continued Fisher’s streak, officially making them the undefeated Courage Bowl champions to date. The Cardinals will face a new opponent in future Courage Bowl games, and plans are currently underway for that opponent to be The College at Brockport Golden Eagles.
The 8th annual Courage Bowl drew a record crowd at Fisher’s Growney Stadium, bringing over 5,100 fans to the event. Proceeds from the game will benefit programs and services of Camp Good Days and Special Times, a camp for children and families whose lives have been touched by cancer and other life-threatening challenges.
Every year, as part of the event, Camp Good Days selects young boys who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary coaches, three for each team. Camp also selects young girls who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary cheerleaders with each squad.
The honorary coaches for the Cardinals were: Daniel Bookhart III, age 8, from Fairport; Ryan Kruzicke, age 8, from Burt; and Zack Murphy, age 13, from Duke Center, PA. Fisher’s honorary cheerleaders were: Katie Foster, age 15, from Rochester; and Mareesa Boyatzies, age 14, from Ontario. Foster and Boyatzies are cousins, and were diagnosed with different types of cancer just one day apart in November 2011.
As part of their honorary coach and cheerleader duties, the campers attended practice with the team and squad on Friday, September 14. And on game day, they were in the locker room with the team, led them on to the field, were with the players at mid-field for the coin toss, and coached and cheered from the sidelines during the game.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- College Renovates Park & Ride; Adds 120 Parking Spots
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference