Cardinals Win Courage Bowl Against University of Rochester for Last Time
It was a nail-biter of a game, but the St. John Fisher College Cardinals managed to squeak another Courage Bowl win, beating the University of Rochester Yellowjackets 20-16 in Saturday’s game. The win continued Fisher’s streak, officially making them the undefeated Courage Bowl champions to date. The Cardinals will face a new opponent in future Courage Bowl games, and plans are currently underway for that opponent to be The College at Brockport Golden Eagles.
The 8th annual Courage Bowl drew a record crowd at Fisher’s Growney Stadium, bringing over 5,100 fans to the event. Proceeds from the game will benefit programs and services of Camp Good Days and Special Times, a camp for children and families whose lives have been touched by cancer and other life-threatening challenges.
Every year, as part of the event, Camp Good Days selects young boys who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary coaches, three for each team. Camp also selects young girls who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary cheerleaders with each squad.
The honorary coaches for the Cardinals were: Daniel Bookhart III, age 8, from Fairport; Ryan Kruzicke, age 8, from Burt; and Zack Murphy, age 13, from Duke Center, PA. Fisher’s honorary cheerleaders were: Katie Foster, age 15, from Rochester; and Mareesa Boyatzies, age 14, from Ontario. Foster and Boyatzies are cousins, and were diagnosed with different types of cancer just one day apart in November 2011.
As part of their honorary coach and cheerleader duties, the campers attended practice with the team and squad on Friday, September 14. And on game day, they were in the locker room with the team, led them on to the field, were with the players at mid-field for the coin toss, and coached and cheered from the sidelines during the game.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair