Cardinals Win Courage Bowl Against University of Rochester for Last Time
It was a nail-biter of a game, but the St. John Fisher College Cardinals managed to squeak another Courage Bowl win, beating the University of Rochester Yellowjackets 20-16 in Saturday’s game. The win continued Fisher’s streak, officially making them the undefeated Courage Bowl champions to date. The Cardinals will face a new opponent in future Courage Bowl games, and plans are currently underway for that opponent to be The College at Brockport Golden Eagles.
The 8th annual Courage Bowl drew a record crowd at Fisher’s Growney Stadium, bringing over 5,100 fans to the event. Proceeds from the game will benefit programs and services of Camp Good Days and Special Times, a camp for children and families whose lives have been touched by cancer and other life-threatening challenges.
Every year, as part of the event, Camp Good Days selects young boys who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary coaches, three for each team. Camp also selects young girls who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary cheerleaders with each squad.
The honorary coaches for the Cardinals were: Daniel Bookhart III, age 8, from Fairport; Ryan Kruzicke, age 8, from Burt; and Zack Murphy, age 13, from Duke Center, PA. Fisher’s honorary cheerleaders were: Katie Foster, age 15, from Rochester; and Mareesa Boyatzies, age 14, from Ontario. Foster and Boyatzies are cousins, and were diagnosed with different types of cancer just one day apart in November 2011.
As part of their honorary coach and cheerleader duties, the campers attended practice with the team and squad on Friday, September 14. And on game day, they were in the locker room with the team, led them on to the field, were with the players at mid-field for the coin toss, and coached and cheered from the sidelines during the game.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference