Cardinals Win Courage Bowl Against University of Rochester for Last Time
It was a nail-biter of a game, but the St. John Fisher College Cardinals managed to squeak another Courage Bowl win, beating the University of Rochester Yellowjackets 20-16 in Saturday’s game. The win continued Fisher’s streak, officially making them the undefeated Courage Bowl champions to date. The Cardinals will face a new opponent in future Courage Bowl games, and plans are currently underway for that opponent to be The College at Brockport Golden Eagles.
The 8th annual Courage Bowl drew a record crowd at Fisher’s Growney Stadium, bringing over 5,100 fans to the event. Proceeds from the game will benefit programs and services of Camp Good Days and Special Times, a camp for children and families whose lives have been touched by cancer and other life-threatening challenges.
Every year, as part of the event, Camp Good Days selects young boys who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary coaches, three for each team. Camp also selects young girls who have been battling cancer to serve as honorary cheerleaders with each squad.
The honorary coaches for the Cardinals were: Daniel Bookhart III, age 8, from Fairport; Ryan Kruzicke, age 8, from Burt; and Zack Murphy, age 13, from Duke Center, PA. Fisher’s honorary cheerleaders were: Katie Foster, age 15, from Rochester; and Mareesa Boyatzies, age 14, from Ontario. Foster and Boyatzies are cousins, and were diagnosed with different types of cancer just one day apart in November 2011.
As part of their honorary coach and cheerleader duties, the campers attended practice with the team and squad on Friday, September 14. And on game day, they were in the locker room with the team, led them on to the field, were with the players at mid-field for the coin toss, and coached and cheered from the sidelines during the game.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition