Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
Just Dangle Hockey, a student-run hockey apparel company, recently won the regional title in the New York State Business Plan Competition. This marks the first time a Fisher entrepreneurial team won the competition.
Just Dangle Founder Matt Keeler, and business partner, Nathan Woods, have been working over the past year to prepare for the competition. They are both business students.
They presented their company and plan along with 31 other student groups from the Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, Finger Lakes Community College, State University of New York at Geneseo, State University of New York at Brockport, Genesee Community College, Keuka College, and Monroe Community College. The team competed in the product and services category and was selected as a finalist to present in the statewide competition in Albany later this month.
According to the team’s coach, Dr. Mary Kay Copeland, Assistant Professor in the School of Business, the judges seemed particularly impressed with the Just Dangle Hockey brand, their extensive social media following, celebrity endorsements, and growth potential.
“Doing a presentation in front of established entrepreneurs such as Lauren Dixon from Dixon Schwabl, Jose Coronas from the Trillium Group, and Kevin Halpin from Delta Point Capital can be daunting, but the students made a compelling case for the strength of their venture,” added Copeland.
Another Fisher entrepreneur Ryan Bilak, of Maker Marketing Group, an internet marketing company, was also a semifinalist and made an outstanding pitch, according to Copeland.
The School of Business formed a group of entrepreneurial mentors to help foster the growth of student businesses. The group includes Ray Shady, Visiting Assistant Professor; Bob Spinelli, Adjunct Faculty; Dr. David Kunsch, Assistant Professor; Laurel Parrilli, Visiting Instructor; Dr. David Martin, Dean; and Copeland.
Students from any discipline interested in entrepreneurship or participating in next year’s competition should contact Copeland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades