Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
Just Dangle Hockey, a student-run hockey apparel company, recently won the regional title in the New York State Business Plan Competition. This marks the first time a Fisher entrepreneurial team won the competition.
Just Dangle Founder Matt Keeler, and business partner, Nathan Woods, have been working over the past year to prepare for the competition. They are both business students.
They presented their company and plan along with 31 other student groups from the Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, Finger Lakes Community College, State University of New York at Geneseo, State University of New York at Brockport, Genesee Community College, Keuka College, and Monroe Community College. The team competed in the product and services category and was selected as a finalist to present in the statewide competition in Albany later this month.
According to the team’s coach, Dr. Mary Kay Copeland, Assistant Professor in the School of Business, the judges seemed particularly impressed with the Just Dangle Hockey brand, their extensive social media following, celebrity endorsements, and growth potential.
“Doing a presentation in front of established entrepreneurs such as Lauren Dixon from Dixon Schwabl, Jose Coronas from the Trillium Group, and Kevin Halpin from Delta Point Capital can be daunting, but the students made a compelling case for the strength of their venture,” added Copeland.
Another Fisher entrepreneur Ryan Bilak, of Maker Marketing Group, an internet marketing company, was also a semifinalist and made an outstanding pitch, according to Copeland.
The School of Business formed a group of entrepreneurial mentors to help foster the growth of student businesses. The group includes Ray Shady, Visiting Assistant Professor; Bob Spinelli, Adjunct Faculty; Dr. David Kunsch, Assistant Professor; Laurel Parrilli, Visiting Instructor; Dr. David Martin, Dean; and Copeland.
Students from any discipline interested in entrepreneurship or participating in next year’s competition should contact Copeland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award