Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
Just Dangle Hockey, a student-run hockey apparel company, recently won the regional title in the New York State Business Plan Competition. This marks the first time a Fisher entrepreneurial team won the competition.
Just Dangle Founder Matt Keeler, and business partner, Nathan Woods, have been working over the past year to prepare for the competition. They are both business students.
They presented their company and plan along with 31 other student groups from the Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, Finger Lakes Community College, State University of New York at Geneseo, State University of New York at Brockport, Genesee Community College, Keuka College, and Monroe Community College. The team competed in the product and services category and was selected as a finalist to present in the statewide competition in Albany later this month.
According to the team’s coach, Dr. Mary Kay Copeland, Assistant Professor in the School of Business, the judges seemed particularly impressed with the Just Dangle Hockey brand, their extensive social media following, celebrity endorsements, and growth potential.
“Doing a presentation in front of established entrepreneurs such as Lauren Dixon from Dixon Schwabl, Jose Coronas from the Trillium Group, and Kevin Halpin from Delta Point Capital can be daunting, but the students made a compelling case for the strength of their venture,” added Copeland.
Another Fisher entrepreneur Ryan Bilak, of Maker Marketing Group, an internet marketing company, was also a semifinalist and made an outstanding pitch, according to Copeland.
The School of Business formed a group of entrepreneurial mentors to help foster the growth of student businesses. The group includes Ray Shady, Visiting Assistant Professor; Bob Spinelli, Adjunct Faculty; Dr. David Kunsch, Assistant Professor; Laurel Parrilli, Visiting Instructor; Dr. David Martin, Dean; and Copeland.
Students from any discipline interested in entrepreneurship or participating in next year’s competition should contact Copeland at email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture