Countdown to Commencement - Jason Norsen
This week’s “Countdown to Commencement” video features Jason Norsen, an Accounting major. He was nominated by Michael Fedoryshyn, Associate Professor in the School of Business.
According to Fedoryshyn, Norsen constantly goes above and beyond in his studies. Not only has he made the Dean’s List every semester at Fisher, he has maintained a 3.9 in the Accounting program. Norsen is also a member of the Honors Program, Beta Gamma Sigma (an International Honor Society serving business programs that are accredited by the AACSB), and a two-time recipient of the DuPlessis/ Wolfe Scholarship Award from the Accounting Alumni Society.
Aside from Norsen’s academic accomplishments, he truly embodies what it means to be a scholar-athlete. Norsen has been a member of the varsity basketball team for the past four years and is the captain of this year’s team. He gives back his talent to the community by serving as a coach for the St. John Fisher Youth Basketball Camp. As a member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), Norsen has also participated in multiple events, including a breast cancer awareness month fundraiser, The Giant Read at School No. 30, and the Winter Walk event that is part of the Battle of the Beaks competition between Fisher and Nazareth College that raises funds for the Golisano Children’s Hospital.
Fedoryshyn is constantly impressed by Norsen’s dedication to the classroom and the court. He enjoys watching him exceed in the classroom and in the game, and was especially proud when he had the opportunity to see Norsen receive the MVP award in a tournament at Hilbert College.
“He is a benchmark against which I can judge whether the material I presented in class has been understood by the students,” said Fedoryshyn.
Norsen has already accepted a job with an accounting firm in Buffalo, near his hometown of Hamburg.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference