Countdown to Commencement - Jason Norsen
This week’s “Countdown to Commencement” video features Jason Norsen, an Accounting major. He was nominated by Michael Fedoryshyn, Associate Professor in the School of Business.
According to Fedoryshyn, Norsen constantly goes above and beyond in his studies. Not only has he made the Dean’s List every semester at Fisher, he has maintained a 3.9 in the Accounting program. Norsen is also a member of the Honors Program, Beta Gamma Sigma (an International Honor Society serving business programs that are accredited by the AACSB), and a two-time recipient of the DuPlessis/ Wolfe Scholarship Award from the Accounting Alumni Society.
Aside from Norsen’s academic accomplishments, he truly embodies what it means to be a scholar-athlete. Norsen has been a member of the varsity basketball team for the past four years and is the captain of this year’s team. He gives back his talent to the community by serving as a coach for the St. John Fisher Youth Basketball Camp. As a member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), Norsen has also participated in multiple events, including a breast cancer awareness month fundraiser, The Giant Read at School No. 30, and the Winter Walk event that is part of the Battle of the Beaks competition between Fisher and Nazareth College that raises funds for the Golisano Children’s Hospital.
Fedoryshyn is constantly impressed by Norsen’s dedication to the classroom and the court. He enjoys watching him exceed in the classroom and in the game, and was especially proud when he had the opportunity to see Norsen receive the MVP award in a tournament at Hilbert College.
“He is a benchmark against which I can judge whether the material I presented in class has been understood by the students,” said Fedoryshyn.
Norsen has already accepted a job with an accounting firm in Buffalo, near his hometown of Hamburg.
Latest College News Stories
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day