Fisher Announces New Doctoral Program Extension Site at Onondaga Community College
At a press conference earlier today, St. John Fisher College announced that it will offer its Doctoral Program in Executive Leadership (Ed.D) at Onondaga Community College Regional Higher Education Center, beginning in September. This is the second extension site for Fisher’s Ed.D. Program; The College of New Rochelle was the College’s first site partner, opening in 2009. Today, Fisher President, Dr. Donald Bain, and Onondaga Interim President, Margaret M. “Meg” O’Connell, formally signed the site agreement, officially opening Onondaga’s first doctoral program.
The accelerated doctoral program is administered by Fisher’s Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, and provides candidates with an opportunity to develop the critical leadership skills and knowledge that are required in today’s increasingly complex, diverse, and information-driven organizations. This unique program was developed to provide an attractive and viable alternative to traditional doctoral programs in educational leadership. To date, the program has enrolled 11 cohorts and graduated 147 students.
“We are so pleased to partner with Onondaga to serve the surrounding community,” said Dr. Donald Bain, President of St. John Fisher College. “Both Fisher and Onondaga are dedicated to preparing a new cadre of executives—men and women with essential leadership skills and a global perspective—who will not only play key professional roles in their communities, but who will use their knowledge and expertise to serve those communities as well.”
The cohort-paced model is designed around a multidisciplinary program of study in executive leadership. Classes meet year-round in an alternate weekend format, and courses are offered sequentially, organized by topical themes, and aligned with New York State, national, and institutional standards. In addition, the program includes professional development opportunities and seminars conducted by experts in the field of leadership. Candidates will also complete field experiences that align with the coursework.
“This is a great day for Onondaga and the Central New York community. The announcement of the College’s first doctoral program is a significant achievement in our growth model, which includes serving local citizens interested in pursuing advanced degrees through our Regional Higher Education Center located at Mulroy Hall. We are excited to collaborate with St. John Fisher College and provide students from throughout our area with a new pathway to support their personal and professional goals,” said Margaret M. “Meg” O’Connell, Onondaga Interim President.
In November 2012, Fisher and Onondaga announced a 2+2 agreement for undergraduate transfer students, which allows Onondaga students who register for the program to complete two years of prescribed coursework at Onondaga for an associate’s degree, and continue on with coursework to earn a bachelor’s degree at Fisher in just two years.
Program information sessions are scheduled at Onondaga on May 22, June 19, and July 17, at 5:00 p.m. For more information about the program or the sessions, visit www.sjfc.edu/graduate or call the Office of Graduate Admissions at (585) 385-8161.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International