Award-Winning Poet Gray Jacobik to Visit Campus
On Thursday, March 21, award-winning poet Gray Jacobik will be at St. John Fisher College for an evening of poetry as part of the Fr. John Cavanaugh Reading Series. She will read a selection of her poems in the Wilson Formal Lounge at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing.
Jacobik is an American poet whose poems and essays have appeared in literary magazines, journals, and several anthologies. She is the winner of the Yeats Prize and the Emily Dickinson Prize. In 2009, her poem, “The Skeptic's Prayer," won the Third Coast Poetry Prize. She received the Juniper Prize for The Double Task, which was also nominated for the James Laughlin Award and the Poet's Prize. The Surface of Last Scattering was selected by X. J. Kennedy as the winner of the X. J. Kennedy Poetry Prize. Her book, Brave Disguises, received the AWP Poetry Series Award.
Her work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize more than 20 times, most recently in 2009 (for "Oysters" Southern Women's Review). In 2002, she was the Robert Frost Poet in Residence at The Frost Place. For several years, as a professor of literature, she taught at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from 2003 until 2009, she taught on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA Program. Little Boy Blue: A Memoir in Verse is her most recent collection, published by CavanKerryPress.
The reading is sponsored by the English Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair