Award-Winning Poet Gray Jacobik to Visit Campus
On Thursday, March 21, award-winning poet Gray Jacobik will be at St. John Fisher College for an evening of poetry as part of the Fr. John Cavanaugh Reading Series. She will read a selection of her poems in the Wilson Formal Lounge at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing.
Jacobik is an American poet whose poems and essays have appeared in literary magazines, journals, and several anthologies. She is the winner of the Yeats Prize and the Emily Dickinson Prize. In 2009, her poem, “The Skeptic's Prayer," won the Third Coast Poetry Prize. She received the Juniper Prize for The Double Task, which was also nominated for the James Laughlin Award and the Poet's Prize. The Surface of Last Scattering was selected by X. J. Kennedy as the winner of the X. J. Kennedy Poetry Prize. Her book, Brave Disguises, received the AWP Poetry Series Award.
Her work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize more than 20 times, most recently in 2009 (for "Oysters" Southern Women's Review). In 2002, she was the Robert Frost Poet in Residence at The Frost Place. For several years, as a professor of literature, she taught at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from 2003 until 2009, she taught on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA Program. Little Boy Blue: A Memoir in Verse is her most recent collection, published by CavanKerryPress.
The reading is sponsored by the English Department.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program