Loss Lecture Series Brings Over 150 to Campus
On Wednesday, October 19, Dr. Alexandra McPherron of the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders, Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, served as the keynote speaker for the 2011 Loss Science Lecture Series. Over 150 people attended the lecture.
Her presentation was entitled, "The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse - The Regulation of Skeletal Muscle Size in the Lab, on the Ranch, and in the Clinic." The presentation focused on McPherron’s research surrounding myostation, a protein naturally produced by the body that increases as you age, which has been the topic of discussion in the field for many years. She is a leading expert on the topic.
McPherron received her bachelor of science degree in Zoology from the University of California and went on to earn her Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cellular, and Molecular Biology from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
The Robert and Janice Loss Science Lecture Series was established in 2003 to promote the study of the sciences among high school and college students.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article