Loss Lecture Series Brings Over 150 to Campus
On Wednesday, October 19, Dr. Alexandra McPherron of the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders, Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, served as the keynote speaker for the 2011 Loss Science Lecture Series. Over 150 people attended the lecture.
Her presentation was entitled, "The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse - The Regulation of Skeletal Muscle Size in the Lab, on the Ranch, and in the Clinic." The presentation focused on McPherron’s research surrounding myostation, a protein naturally produced by the body that increases as you age, which has been the topic of discussion in the field for many years. She is a leading expert on the topic.
McPherron received her bachelor of science degree in Zoology from the University of California and went on to earn her Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cellular, and Molecular Biology from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
The Robert and Janice Loss Science Lecture Series was established in 2003 to promote the study of the sciences among high school and college students.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship