Father William Graf is Featured Speaker for December First Friday Lecture Series
On Friday, December 2, Father William Graf, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at St. John Fisher College, will serve as the featured speaker in the St. John Fisher College First Friday Lecture Series. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Board Room at 10:00 a.m.
He will present, “Celtic Spirituality: Why the Irish Pray Differently.” His talk will focus on the time when the Celts moved across Europe and found a place of refuge in the land of Eire. It was a mysterious land rich in traditions and stories that allowed the Celts to integrate their own culture with their new home. Later, when the Roman Catholic Church reached Ireland, it adopted some of the stories, myths, and customs to teach the Gospel message. The Church’s prayer, liturgy, and rites found a treasure in the Celtic culture. But unfortunately, some oppressive bishops and secular rulers later robbed this treasury and some of it was lost or forgotten. In recent years, the treasures have resurfaced and are being celebrated once again.
The event will also include mass at 9:00 a.m., and a breakfast at 9:30 a.m. Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Ave./Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the December 2 event, please contact Tiffany Carnevale at (585) 385-8354 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification