Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition
A team of St. John Fisher College Accounting students won first place in the Northeast Region Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition. The competition took place in Boston November 1-3, and the students were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
The annual competition, which takes place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges. Fisher competed against Boston College, Boston University, Bentley University, Northeastern University, and Syracuse University.
The winning team included Jason Wilson (MBA), Maria Siler ’14, Brendan Kazmierski ’14, Mike Roman ’16, and Marissa Budwey ’16. The team will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 17-19, 2014, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Jenny Beacham (MBA), Kyle Ingalls ’14, Jacquie Cowley ’14, Tom Kline ’16, and Hannah Martella ’16.
“The level of technical research, professionalism, and teamwork that the students showed make me very proud to be their faculty mentor. I am so fortunate to have had such a wonderful experience,” said Mucenski-Keck.
Teams placing in the top 10 with Fisher came from Brigham Young University, Fordham University, North Carolina State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Southern California, Texas A&M University, College of William & Mary, and the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced