Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition
A team of St. John Fisher College Accounting students won first place in the Northeast Region Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition. The competition took place in Boston November 1-3, and the students were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
The annual competition, which takes place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges. Fisher competed against Boston College, Boston University, Bentley University, Northeastern University, and Syracuse University.
The winning team included Jason Wilson (MBA), Maria Siler ’14, Brendan Kazmierski ’14, Mike Roman ’16, and Marissa Budwey ’16. The team will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 17-19, 2014, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Jenny Beacham (MBA), Kyle Ingalls ’14, Jacquie Cowley ’14, Tom Kline ’16, and Hannah Martella ’16.
“The level of technical research, professionalism, and teamwork that the students showed make me very proud to be their faculty mentor. I am so fortunate to have had such a wonderful experience,” said Mucenski-Keck.
Teams placing in the top 10 with Fisher came from Brigham Young University, Fordham University, North Carolina State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Southern California, Texas A&M University, College of William & Mary, and the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair