Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition
A team of St. John Fisher College Accounting students won first place in the Northeast Region Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition. The competition took place in Boston November 1-3, and the students were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
The annual competition, which takes place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges. Fisher competed against Boston College, Boston University, Bentley University, Northeastern University, and Syracuse University.
The winning team included Jason Wilson (MBA), Maria Siler ’14, Brendan Kazmierski ’14, Mike Roman ’16, and Marissa Budwey ’16. The team will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 17-19, 2014, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Jenny Beacham (MBA), Kyle Ingalls ’14, Jacquie Cowley ’14, Tom Kline ’16, and Hannah Martella ’16.
“The level of technical research, professionalism, and teamwork that the students showed make me very proud to be their faculty mentor. I am so fortunate to have had such a wonderful experience,” said Mucenski-Keck.
Teams placing in the top 10 with Fisher came from Brigham Young University, Fordham University, North Carolina State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Southern California, Texas A&M University, College of William & Mary, and the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative