Accounting Students Win Regional Tax Competition
A team of St. John Fisher College Accounting students won first place in the Northeast Region Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition. The competition took place in Boston November 1-3, and the students were accompanied by Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck.
The annual competition, which takes place in 16 cities across the country, encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios. Participants engaged in simulation exercises, role-played with Deloitte tax professionals, and made a presentation to a panel of live and “virtual” judges. Fisher competed against Boston College, Boston University, Bentley University, Northeastern University, and Syracuse University.
The winning team included Jason Wilson (MBA), Maria Siler ’14, Brendan Kazmierski ’14, Mike Roman ’16, and Marissa Budwey ’16. The team will move on to the national round of the competition, scheduled to take place January 17-19, 2014, at Deloitte University, a state-of-the-art learning and leadership development center in Texas. They will compete for over $50,000 in individual scholarships and institutional awards.
Fisher’s second competing team included Jenny Beacham (MBA), Kyle Ingalls ’14, Jacquie Cowley ’14, Tom Kline ’16, and Hannah Martella ’16.
“The level of technical research, professionalism, and teamwork that the students showed make me very proud to be their faculty mentor. I am so fortunate to have had such a wonderful experience,” said Mucenski-Keck.
Teams placing in the top 10 with Fisher came from Brigham Young University, Fordham University, North Carolina State University, University of Northern Colorado, University of Southern California, Texas A&M University, College of William & Mary, and the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Latest College News Stories
- Education Alumna Honored by National Organization
- Undergrads Present at Literature and Composition Conference
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources