Countdown to Commencement: Husain Bawany
This week’s “Countdown to Commencement” video features Husain Bawany, a Biology and Religious Studies double major. He was nominated by Dr. Kathy Savage, Assistant Professor in the Biology Department, and Tom Rodgers, Director of Campus Life.
According to his nominators, Bawany is an extremely dedicated student who is involved in several different facets of the Fisher community. He has a passion for engaging students in diversity discussions and service, and has been involved in many efforts to provide service to underrepresented populations in the Rochester community, specifically refugee children.
“Husain has changed the way I approach some topics I teach to include a broader perspective,” said Savage.
Aside from Bawany’s service work in the larger Rochester community, he can be spotted on campus doing much of the same. During his four years at Fisher, he has been involved in the Student Government Association, Muslim Student Association, Religious Studies Club, Measure 13, the Strategic Planning Committee, the Interfaith Rochester Area College, and most recently, served as the Co-Chair of the 2012 Day of Celebration.
He was also responsible for the College’s Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, which encouraged positive conversation focused on diversity and faith in an effort to promote an atmosphere of acceptance, learning, and openness. The event attracted dozens of students from around the Rochester area.
“I will always remember Husain’s compassion to promoting diversity and student engagement beyond the Fisher campus,” said Rodgers.
Meet this week’s senior, Husain Bawany!
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference