Countdown to Commencement: Husain Bawany
This week’s “Countdown to Commencement” video features Husain Bawany, a Biology and Religious Studies double major. He was nominated by Dr. Kathy Savage, Assistant Professor in the Biology Department, and Tom Rodgers, Director of Campus Life.
According to his nominators, Bawany is an extremely dedicated student who is involved in several different facets of the Fisher community. He has a passion for engaging students in diversity discussions and service, and has been involved in many efforts to provide service to underrepresented populations in the Rochester community, specifically refugee children.
“Husain has changed the way I approach some topics I teach to include a broader perspective,” said Savage.
Aside from Bawany’s service work in the larger Rochester community, he can be spotted on campus doing much of the same. During his four years at Fisher, he has been involved in the Student Government Association, Muslim Student Association, Religious Studies Club, Measure 13, the Strategic Planning Committee, the Interfaith Rochester Area College, and most recently, served as the Co-Chair of the 2012 Day of Celebration.
He was also responsible for the College’s Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, which encouraged positive conversation focused on diversity and faith in an effort to promote an atmosphere of acceptance, learning, and openness. The event attracted dozens of students from around the Rochester area.
“I will always remember Husain’s compassion to promoting diversity and student engagement beyond the Fisher campus,” said Rodgers.
Meet this week’s senior, Husain Bawany!
Latest College News Stories
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee