Students and Faculty Provide Health Care in Kenya
For the second year in a row, a group of faculty and students from St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) and Wegmans School of Pharmacy (WSoP) traveled to Kenya to provide health care and health education to several communities. The group left Rochester on May 9, and returned on May 20.
A group of 18 was led by Drs. Vivian Cunningham and Karen Parker from the WSoN. Undergraduate and graduate nursing and pharmacy students made the trip, along with some members of the community.
The group flew into Nairobi, then traveled by vans to Nakuru, where they were hosted by Fisher alumnus, Rev. Dr. Father Stephen Mbugua Negari. While there, they visited a variety of facilities offering different levels of health care. Father Stephen, Director of Student Welfare Services at Egerton University, gave the group a guided tour of the campus and then hosted a tea at his home in honor of their visit.
The city of Maseno was their next stop, where they worked in the Angelican Mission Hospital, and held an inaugural day-long health clinic in the newly constructed health care building on the grounds of the Mbaka Oromo School. All of the school children and staff, as well as a multitude of community members who turned out for the event, were screened and treated for a variety of conditions.
The event held very special meaning for members of the WSoN and Building Futures, Inc., a non-profit organization in Fairport, who have partnered to make the new clinic a reality.
"The work done and the friendships forged served to broaden the boundaries of our campus, but also made the world seem a bit smaller. We look forward to many future medical mission trips to Kenya," said Parker.
The new clinic in Maseno, Kenya, where Fisher students and faculty provided health care and health education.
Dr. Karen Parker, Wegmans School of Nursing, with the clinic's first patient.
Students from the Wegmans School of Nursing and Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video