Students and Faculty Provide Health Care in Kenya
For the second year in a row, a group of faculty and students from St. John Fisher College's Wegmans School of Nursing (WSoN) and Wegmans School of Pharmacy (WSoP) traveled to Kenya to provide health care and health education to several communities. The group left Rochester on May 9, and returned on May 20.
A group of 18 was led by Drs. Vivian Cunningham and Karen Parker from the WSoN. Undergraduate and graduate nursing and pharmacy students made the trip, along with some members of the community.
The group flew into Nairobi, then traveled by vans to Nakuru, where they were hosted by Fisher alumnus, Rev. Dr. Father Stephen Mbugua Negari. While there, they visited a variety of facilities offering different levels of health care. Father Stephen, Director of Student Welfare Services at Egerton University, gave the group a guided tour of the campus and then hosted a tea at his home in honor of their visit.
The city of Maseno was their next stop, where they worked in the Angelican Mission Hospital, and held an inaugural day-long health clinic in the newly constructed health care building on the grounds of the Mbaka Oromo School. All of the school children and staff, as well as a multitude of community members who turned out for the event, were screened and treated for a variety of conditions.
The event held very special meaning for members of the WSoN and Building Futures, Inc., a non-profit organization in Fairport, who have partnered to make the new clinic a reality.
"The work done and the friendships forged served to broaden the boundaries of our campus, but also made the world seem a bit smaller. We look forward to many future medical mission trips to Kenya," said Parker.
The new clinic in Maseno, Kenya, where Fisher students and faculty provided health care and health education.
Dr. Karen Parker, Wegmans School of Nursing, with the clinic's first patient.
Students from the Wegmans School of Nursing and Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice