St. John Fisher College and Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society to Hold Memorial Dedication Event
St. John Fisher College and the Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society will be holding a Col. O’Rorke Memorial Dedication event on Sunday, September 23, at the College. The event will begin with a Memorial Mass at Murphy Chapel at 10:00 a.m., followed by a procession to the Irish Famine Memorial on campus. The dedication will take place at approximately 11:15 a.m. in Lavery Library.
The Memorial is being dedicated to acknowledge the kick-off of the College’s new Irish Studies program, which will feature an annual “Col. O’Rorke Seminar” concerning the contributions and experiences of the Irish Americans during the Civil War period.
O’Rorke was born in County Cavan in 1837, emigrated to Rochester in 1842, and graduated first in his class from West Point in 1861. A Colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War, he fought valiantly and was killed on Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. The O’Rorke Memorial Society and the College honor his patriotic sacrifice.
Latest College News Stories
- Digital Cultures Student Show Opening Reception March 12
- Lavery Library Host to “The Irish and the American Civil War” Exhibit, Opening Ceremony March 15
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany