St. John Fisher College and Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society to Hold Memorial Dedication Event
St. John Fisher College and the Col. Patrick O’Rorke Memorial Society will be holding a Col. O’Rorke Memorial Dedication event on Sunday, September 23, at the College. The event will begin with a Memorial Mass at Murphy Chapel at 10:00 a.m., followed by a procession to the Irish Famine Memorial on campus. The dedication will take place at approximately 11:15 a.m. in Lavery Library.
The Memorial is being dedicated to acknowledge the kick-off of the College’s new Irish Studies program, which will feature an annual “Col. O’Rorke Seminar” concerning the contributions and experiences of the Irish Americans during the Civil War period.
O’Rorke was born in County Cavan in 1837, emigrated to Rochester in 1842, and graduated first in his class from West Point in 1861. A Colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War, he fought valiantly and was killed on Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. The O’Rorke Memorial Society and the College honor his patriotic sacrifice.
Latest College News Stories
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education