Nursing, Pharmacy Students Receive Scholarships from Italian Women’s Civic Club
Fisher students Dina Berardi, Juliane Barbato, and Patti VanAuker received the 2013 Dante Scholarship Award from the Italian Women’s Civic Club (IWCC) during an awards dinner at Midvale Country Club on Saturday, October 26.
The IWCC is an organization that has conducted philanthropic activities in the Greater Rochester Area for over 90 years, and administers the Dante Scholarship Program for undergraduate and graduate students at area colleges and universities. Berardi, Barbato, and VanAuker were joined by four other recipients.
Berardi, a previous IWCC Dante Scholarship Award winner, received her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from Fisher and is now in her third year at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy. She is currently a pharmacy intern at Rochester General Hospital and is a representative of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association and the American Pharmacists Association. Berardi is also a member of the National Foreign Language Honor Society (Alpha Mu Gamma). Her volunteer experiences have focused on faith formation activities at St. Lawrence Church and St. John’s Church.
Barbato is a graduate student in the Wegmans School of Nursing. A single mother of three boys, Barbato works full-time and attends school full-time, with a goal of obtaining an advanced degree in Nursing.
VanAuker, a graduate student at Fisher, is enrolled in the Doctor of Nursing Practice of Program. She is currently the Quality Improvement Council Unit Chair for the Emergency Department at F.F. Thompson Hospital and also participates on committees in the hospital including the Work Life Council. She has received awards from the Emergency Nurses Association, Rural Health Education Center, and Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty.
The IWCC was established in 1919 to educate immigrant women on their newly acquired right to vote and assist them in assimilating into American life. The mission of the Club has evolved over the years and today focuses on supporting higher education opportunities for young adults of Italian ancestry.
Latest College News Stories
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award