The Countdown is on for the Relay for Life
They have painted the campus purple, and now, they will put the final preparations in place. St. John Fisher College’s student organization “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC) has been hard at work planning a solid 12 hours of fun for the 2013 Relay for Life, scheduled to take place in the Student Life Center beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5, and running until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 6.
This year’s event marks the 12th annual Relay for Life, which aims to celebrate, remember, and fight back for all those who have been affected by cancer. To date, over 260 participants have registered and over $8,000.00 has been raised. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
The event theme is “Around the World,” and students are forming teams representing specific countries. Students are encouraged to either register with an existing team or create their own team (family and friends invited as well!) and register online.
There is a new twist added to the Relay this year, and that is the Bald for Bucks campaign. The committee has a fundraising goal of $35,000, and a commitment from Stephanie Ketterl, Associate Director of Residential Life, to shave her head should they meet that goal. After Ketterl volunteered, it set off a firestorm of incremental challenges as well. Once they hit $10,000, Amanda Cammarano, event co-chair, will donate her hair. When the group hits the $20,000 mark, Tyler Wheelock from the Community Service Office, will go bald. And once they hit the $30,000 mark, Dusty Baker, co-chair, will shave his head. One student, Michael Cunliffe, has already gone bald for bucks, shaving his head in memory of his mother when the total surpassed $5,000.
The 2013 St. John Fisher College Relay for Life is being co-hosted by Nazareth College and the American Cancer Society. For more information about the Relay for Life, contact Amanda Cammarano or Dusty Baker, co-chairs, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year