The Countdown is on for the Relay for Life
They have painted the campus purple, and now, they will put the final preparations in place. St. John Fisher College’s student organization “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC) has been hard at work planning a solid 12 hours of fun for the 2013 Relay for Life, scheduled to take place in the Student Life Center beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5, and running until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 6.
This year’s event marks the 12th annual Relay for Life, which aims to celebrate, remember, and fight back for all those who have been affected by cancer. To date, over 260 participants have registered and over $8,000.00 has been raised. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
The event theme is “Around the World,” and students are forming teams representing specific countries. Students are encouraged to either register with an existing team or create their own team (family and friends invited as well!) and register online.
There is a new twist added to the Relay this year, and that is the Bald for Bucks campaign. The committee has a fundraising goal of $35,000, and a commitment from Stephanie Ketterl, Associate Director of Residential Life, to shave her head should they meet that goal. After Ketterl volunteered, it set off a firestorm of incremental challenges as well. Once they hit $10,000, Amanda Cammarano, event co-chair, will donate her hair. When the group hits the $20,000 mark, Tyler Wheelock from the Community Service Office, will go bald. And once they hit the $30,000 mark, Dusty Baker, co-chair, will shave his head. One student, Michael Cunliffe, has already gone bald for bucks, shaving his head in memory of his mother when the total surpassed $5,000.
The 2013 St. John Fisher College Relay for Life is being co-hosted by Nazareth College and the American Cancer Society. For more information about the Relay for Life, contact Amanda Cammarano or Dusty Baker, co-chairs, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program