The Countdown is on for the Relay for Life
They have painted the campus purple, and now, they will put the final preparations in place. St. John Fisher College’s student organization “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC) has been hard at work planning a solid 12 hours of fun for the 2013 Relay for Life, scheduled to take place in the Student Life Center beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5, and running until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 6.
This year’s event marks the 12th annual Relay for Life, which aims to celebrate, remember, and fight back for all those who have been affected by cancer. To date, over 260 participants have registered and over $8,000.00 has been raised. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
The event theme is “Around the World,” and students are forming teams representing specific countries. Students are encouraged to either register with an existing team or create their own team (family and friends invited as well!) and register online.
There is a new twist added to the Relay this year, and that is the Bald for Bucks campaign. The committee has a fundraising goal of $35,000, and a commitment from Stephanie Ketterl, Associate Director of Residential Life, to shave her head should they meet that goal. After Ketterl volunteered, it set off a firestorm of incremental challenges as well. Once they hit $10,000, Amanda Cammarano, event co-chair, will donate her hair. When the group hits the $20,000 mark, Tyler Wheelock from the Community Service Office, will go bald. And once they hit the $30,000 mark, Dusty Baker, co-chair, will shave his head. One student, Michael Cunliffe, has already gone bald for bucks, shaving his head in memory of his mother when the total surpassed $5,000.
The 2013 St. John Fisher College Relay for Life is being co-hosted by Nazareth College and the American Cancer Society. For more information about the Relay for Life, contact Amanda Cammarano or Dusty Baker, co-chairs, by emailing email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems