The Countdown is on for the Relay for Life
They have painted the campus purple, and now, they will put the final preparations in place. St. John Fisher College’s student organization “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC) has been hard at work planning a solid 12 hours of fun for the 2013 Relay for Life, scheduled to take place in the Student Life Center beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5, and running until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 6.
This year’s event marks the 12th annual Relay for Life, which aims to celebrate, remember, and fight back for all those who have been affected by cancer. To date, over 260 participants have registered and over $8,000.00 has been raised. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
The event theme is “Around the World,” and students are forming teams representing specific countries. Students are encouraged to either register with an existing team or create their own team (family and friends invited as well!) and register online.
There is a new twist added to the Relay this year, and that is the Bald for Bucks campaign. The committee has a fundraising goal of $35,000, and a commitment from Stephanie Ketterl, Associate Director of Residential Life, to shave her head should they meet that goal. After Ketterl volunteered, it set off a firestorm of incremental challenges as well. Once they hit $10,000, Amanda Cammarano, event co-chair, will donate her hair. When the group hits the $20,000 mark, Tyler Wheelock from the Community Service Office, will go bald. And once they hit the $30,000 mark, Dusty Baker, co-chair, will shave his head. One student, Michael Cunliffe, has already gone bald for bucks, shaving his head in memory of his mother when the total surpassed $5,000.
The 2013 St. John Fisher College Relay for Life is being co-hosted by Nazareth College and the American Cancer Society. For more information about the Relay for Life, contact Amanda Cammarano or Dusty Baker, co-chairs, by emailing email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference