TEDxSJFC Delivers Strong Community Message
Approximately 65 people filed into Basil Hall at St. John Fisher College on Monday, December 5, for the College’s first-ever TEDx event – also a first for a local college.
The event was organized and led by students in Professor Kyle Reinson’s Business Communication class, a service-learning course. The theme, “TEDx: Understanding Community,” featured five speakers who focused on what community meant to them and their respective organizations.
Student Joe Tyson served as the event host. Speakers included: Chris Hartman, HeadwaterFoods; Katrina Rex, Neighborworks Rochester; Robert Boyd, faculty member at SUNY Geneseo; Rebecca Priest, St. John’s Home in Rochester; and Tom Proietti, Communication/Journalism professor at Fisher and Monroe Community College. All speakers are service-learning partners of the College.
“The event was tremendously bold and inventive, just to take on. It shows vision and a sense for what is cutting-edge. I was so honored to be part of it,” said Proietti.
Reinson worked closely with the students all semester to make the event a reality. “TEDxSJFC was a success because of our service-learning partners and our Fisher students. I could not think of a more practical way to engage students in the subject than a project that would be about ideas worth spreading."
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading.” It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." The program is designed to give communities, organizations, and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level. At TEDx events, a screening of TEDTalks videos - or a combination of live presenters and TEDTalks videos - sparks deep conversation and connections. TEDx events are fully planned and coordinated independently, on a community-by-community basis.
(From L to R: Professor Tom Proietti, Chris Hartman, Dr. Greg Cunningham, Katrina Rex, Rebecca Priest and Robert Boyd)
Latest College News Stories
- Digital Cultures Student Show Opening Reception March 12
- Lavery Library Host to “The Irish and the American Civil War” Exhibit, Opening Ceremony March 15
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany