Motivational Speaker Matt Glowacki at Fisher Thursday, September 20
Matt Glowacki’s birth attracted a lot of attention 39 years ago because, even though he was a healthy baby overall, he was born without legs. The paralympian will be at St. John Fisher College Thursday, September 20, to share his story. His talk begins at 9:30 p.m. in Basil 135.
Glowacki was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, and from his first days, his parents worked hard to give him the same opportunities children around him had.
By the time he was a senior in high school, Glowacki had earned the rank of Eagle Scout, served as the District Governor of the State of Wisconsin's Key Club, and managed his own business. He then went on to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he pursued his bachelor of arts degree in communication, with an emphasis on public relations and a minor in U.S. History.
In June of 1998, he earned his position on the United States Paralympic team for sitting volleyball, after he participated in the World Championships in Washington, D.C. He traveled and competed internationally with the team, and attended the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney, Australia, along with the 2002 World Championships in Cairo, Egypt. In 2004, he served as the alternate for the Paralympics in Athens.
Glowacki’s passion for community service shines through in everything he does. He donates his time to The Confluence, a not-for-profit Wheelchair Sports Foundation in St. Louis, MO, and serves as a coach and mentor to athletes of all ages. The program sponsors a variety of sporting endeavors including wheelchair basketball, tennis, wheelchair softball, and waterskiing.
Glowacki’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Latest College News Stories
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation