Motivational Speaker Matt Glowacki at Fisher Thursday, September 20
Matt Glowacki’s birth attracted a lot of attention 39 years ago because, even though he was a healthy baby overall, he was born without legs. The paralympian will be at St. John Fisher College Thursday, September 20, to share his story. His talk begins at 9:30 p.m. in Basil 135.
Glowacki was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, and from his first days, his parents worked hard to give him the same opportunities children around him had.
By the time he was a senior in high school, Glowacki had earned the rank of Eagle Scout, served as the District Governor of the State of Wisconsin's Key Club, and managed his own business. He then went on to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he pursued his bachelor of arts degree in communication, with an emphasis on public relations and a minor in U.S. History.
In June of 1998, he earned his position on the United States Paralympic team for sitting volleyball, after he participated in the World Championships in Washington, D.C. He traveled and competed internationally with the team, and attended the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney, Australia, along with the 2002 World Championships in Cairo, Egypt. In 2004, he served as the alternate for the Paralympics in Athens.
Glowacki’s passion for community service shines through in everything he does. He donates his time to The Confluence, a not-for-profit Wheelchair Sports Foundation in St. Louis, MO, and serves as a coach and mentor to athletes of all ages. The program sponsors a variety of sporting endeavors including wheelchair basketball, tennis, wheelchair softball, and waterskiing.
Glowacki’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Latest College News Stories
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation