Motivational Speaker Matt Glowacki at Fisher Thursday, September 20
Matt Glowacki’s birth attracted a lot of attention 39 years ago because, even though he was a healthy baby overall, he was born without legs. The paralympian will be at St. John Fisher College Thursday, September 20, to share his story. His talk begins at 9:30 p.m. in Basil 135.
Glowacki was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, and from his first days, his parents worked hard to give him the same opportunities children around him had.
By the time he was a senior in high school, Glowacki had earned the rank of Eagle Scout, served as the District Governor of the State of Wisconsin's Key Club, and managed his own business. He then went on to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he pursued his bachelor of arts degree in communication, with an emphasis on public relations and a minor in U.S. History.
In June of 1998, he earned his position on the United States Paralympic team for sitting volleyball, after he participated in the World Championships in Washington, D.C. He traveled and competed internationally with the team, and attended the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney, Australia, along with the 2002 World Championships in Cairo, Egypt. In 2004, he served as the alternate for the Paralympics in Athens.
Glowacki’s passion for community service shines through in everything he does. He donates his time to The Confluence, a not-for-profit Wheelchair Sports Foundation in St. Louis, MO, and serves as a coach and mentor to athletes of all ages. The program sponsors a variety of sporting endeavors including wheelchair basketball, tennis, wheelchair softball, and waterskiing.
Glowacki’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Latest College News Stories
- Digital Cultures Student Show Opening Reception March 12
- Lavery Library Host to “The Irish and the American Civil War” Exhibit, Opening Ceremony March 15
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany