Motivational Speaker Matt Glowacki at Fisher Thursday, September 20
Matt Glowacki’s birth attracted a lot of attention 39 years ago because, even though he was a healthy baby overall, he was born without legs. The paralympian will be at St. John Fisher College Thursday, September 20, to share his story. His talk begins at 9:30 p.m. in Basil 135.
Glowacki was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, and from his first days, his parents worked hard to give him the same opportunities children around him had.
By the time he was a senior in high school, Glowacki had earned the rank of Eagle Scout, served as the District Governor of the State of Wisconsin's Key Club, and managed his own business. He then went on to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he pursued his bachelor of arts degree in communication, with an emphasis on public relations and a minor in U.S. History.
In June of 1998, he earned his position on the United States Paralympic team for sitting volleyball, after he participated in the World Championships in Washington, D.C. He traveled and competed internationally with the team, and attended the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney, Australia, along with the 2002 World Championships in Cairo, Egypt. In 2004, he served as the alternate for the Paralympics in Athens.
Glowacki’s passion for community service shines through in everything he does. He donates his time to The Confluence, a not-for-profit Wheelchair Sports Foundation in St. Louis, MO, and serves as a coach and mentor to athletes of all ages. The program sponsors a variety of sporting endeavors including wheelchair basketball, tennis, wheelchair softball, and waterskiing.
Glowacki’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner