Motivational Speaker Matt Glowacki at Fisher Thursday, September 20
Matt Glowacki’s birth attracted a lot of attention 39 years ago because, even though he was a healthy baby overall, he was born without legs. The paralympian will be at St. John Fisher College Thursday, September 20, to share his story. His talk begins at 9:30 p.m. in Basil 135.
Glowacki was born in Janesville, Wisconsin, and from his first days, his parents worked hard to give him the same opportunities children around him had.
By the time he was a senior in high school, Glowacki had earned the rank of Eagle Scout, served as the District Governor of the State of Wisconsin's Key Club, and managed his own business. He then went on to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he pursued his bachelor of arts degree in communication, with an emphasis on public relations and a minor in U.S. History.
In June of 1998, he earned his position on the United States Paralympic team for sitting volleyball, after he participated in the World Championships in Washington, D.C. He traveled and competed internationally with the team, and attended the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney, Australia, along with the 2002 World Championships in Cairo, Egypt. In 2004, he served as the alternate for the Paralympics in Athens.
Glowacki’s passion for community service shines through in everything he does. He donates his time to The Confluence, a not-for-profit Wheelchair Sports Foundation in St. Louis, MO, and serves as a coach and mentor to athletes of all ages. The program sponsors a variety of sporting endeavors including wheelchair basketball, tennis, wheelchair softball, and waterskiing.
Glowacki’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement