Student Engagement Survey Now Underway, Freshmen and Seniors Asked to Participate
Last year, St. John Fisher College participated in the Foundations of Excellence (FOE) study, which aimed to help participating institutions develop a consistent, campus-wide strategy for working with first-year students. The study was sponsored by the John N. Gardner Institute for Excellence in Undergraduate Education.
As part of the study, the College created a task force comprised of over 50 faculty, staff, and students. The group conducted faculty and student surveys, examined College systems, and analyzed data on student success to evaluate the first-year experience.
As a result of the recommendations that came from that study, the College has decided to participate in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE ). The survey launched on February 12 and will remain open until mid-March; freshmen and seniors are encouraged to participate and should have already received an email with a link to the survey.
NSSE “assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices associated with high levels of learning and development.” The survey will collect information from participating students in seven categories:
- Participation in educationally purposeful activities
- Institutional requirements and the challenging nature of coursework
- Perceptions of the college environment
- Estimates of educational and personal growth since starting college
- Background and demographic information
- Academic advising
- Experiences with writing
“We will use the data collected from the survey to examine the learning experiences of our undergraduate students and identify ways in which these experiences can be improved both inside and outside the classroom,” said Kristin Anderson, Coordinator of Institutional Assessment and Accreditation.
Students will have a chance to win a Nook tablet just for participating. The results of the survey will be shared with the campus this fall.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Health Fair Delivers Medical Care to Refugees in Rochester
- Fisher Hosts National Computers and Writing Conference
- Rice’s Book Earns Philippine Book Award Nomination
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Ed.D. Candidate Appointed Dean of Admissions at Morrisville State College
- Community Literacy Center Receives Grant Support
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine