Student Engagement Survey Now Underway, Freshmen and Seniors Asked to Participate
Last year, St. John Fisher College participated in the Foundations of Excellence (FOE) study, which aimed to help participating institutions develop a consistent, campus-wide strategy for working with first-year students. The study was sponsored by the John N. Gardner Institute for Excellence in Undergraduate Education.
As part of the study, the College created a task force comprised of over 50 faculty, staff, and students. The group conducted faculty and student surveys, examined College systems, and analyzed data on student success to evaluate the first-year experience.
As a result of the recommendations that came from that study, the College has decided to participate in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE ). The survey launched on February 12 and will remain open until mid-March; freshmen and seniors are encouraged to participate and should have already received an email with a link to the survey.
NSSE “assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices associated with high levels of learning and development.” The survey will collect information from participating students in seven categories:
- Participation in educationally purposeful activities
- Institutional requirements and the challenging nature of coursework
- Perceptions of the college environment
- Estimates of educational and personal growth since starting college
- Background and demographic information
- Academic advising
- Experiences with writing
“We will use the data collected from the survey to examine the learning experiences of our undergraduate students and identify ways in which these experiences can be improved both inside and outside the classroom,” said Kristin Anderson, Coordinator of Institutional Assessment and Accreditation.
Students will have a chance to win a Nook tablet just for participating. The results of the survey will be shared with the campus this fall.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”