Fisher Hosts Robotics Competition
Over the weekend, St. John Fisher College co-sponsored and hosted the 2013-2014 Finger Lakes New York FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) Qualifying Tournament bringing 160 middle and high school students from across the state to campus ready to compete.
FTC® is a global robotics program that intends to spark an interest and enthusiasm for science, technology, and discovery, teaching STEM skills along with leadership and teamwork. The competition is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. The teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.
Teams from schools across the state including districts in Hornell, New Hartford, Henrietta, Clayton, Palmyra, Williamson, Bergen, Strongsville, Corning, Buffalo, Bloomfield, Binghamton, Lockport, Mexico, Churchville, Lansing, and Rochester came ready to build and compete.
Teams used the morning to brainstorm and build their robots, and competed in the afternoon. An awards ceremony concluded the event.
Dr. Barney Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education, served as the Event Coordinator.
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, FIRST® is supported by sponsors and volunteers. Besides the FIRST® Tech Challenge, the organization also provides the FIRST® Robotics Competition (for grades 9-12), the FIRST® Lego League (for grades 4-8), and Junior FIRST® Lego League (for grades K-3).
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain