Fisher Hosts Robotics Competition
Over the weekend, St. John Fisher College co-sponsored and hosted the 2013-2014 Finger Lakes New York FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) Qualifying Tournament bringing 160 middle and high school students from across the state to campus ready to compete.
FTC® is a global robotics program that intends to spark an interest and enthusiasm for science, technology, and discovery, teaching STEM skills along with leadership and teamwork. The competition is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. The teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.
Teams from schools across the state including districts in Hornell, New Hartford, Henrietta, Clayton, Palmyra, Williamson, Bergen, Strongsville, Corning, Buffalo, Bloomfield, Binghamton, Lockport, Mexico, Churchville, Lansing, and Rochester came ready to build and compete.
Teams used the morning to brainstorm and build their robots, and competed in the afternoon. An awards ceremony concluded the event.
Dr. Barney Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education, served as the Event Coordinator.
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, FIRST® is supported by sponsors and volunteers. Besides the FIRST® Tech Challenge, the organization also provides the FIRST® Robotics Competition (for grades 9-12), the FIRST® Lego League (for grades 4-8), and Junior FIRST® Lego League (for grades K-3).
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year
- College to Host Annual Day of Celebration