Fisher Hosts Robotics Competition
Over the weekend, St. John Fisher College co-sponsored and hosted the 2013-2014 Finger Lakes New York FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) Qualifying Tournament bringing 160 middle and high school students from across the state to campus ready to compete.
FTC® is a global robotics program that intends to spark an interest and enthusiasm for science, technology, and discovery, teaching STEM skills along with leadership and teamwork. The competition is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. The teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.
Teams from schools across the state including districts in Hornell, New Hartford, Henrietta, Clayton, Palmyra, Williamson, Bergen, Strongsville, Corning, Buffalo, Bloomfield, Binghamton, Lockport, Mexico, Churchville, Lansing, and Rochester came ready to build and compete.
Teams used the morning to brainstorm and build their robots, and competed in the afternoon. An awards ceremony concluded the event.
Dr. Barney Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education, served as the Event Coordinator.
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, FIRST® is supported by sponsors and volunteers. Besides the FIRST® Tech Challenge, the organization also provides the FIRST® Robotics Competition (for grades 9-12), the FIRST® Lego League (for grades 4-8), and Junior FIRST® Lego League (for grades K-3).
Latest College News Stories
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course