Fisher Hosts Robotics Competition
Over the weekend, St. John Fisher College co-sponsored and hosted the 2013-2014 Finger Lakes New York FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) Qualifying Tournament bringing 160 middle and high school students from across the state to campus ready to compete.
FTC® is a global robotics program that intends to spark an interest and enthusiasm for science, technology, and discovery, teaching STEM skills along with leadership and teamwork. The competition is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. The teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.
Teams from schools across the state including districts in Hornell, New Hartford, Henrietta, Clayton, Palmyra, Williamson, Bergen, Strongsville, Corning, Buffalo, Bloomfield, Binghamton, Lockport, Mexico, Churchville, Lansing, and Rochester came ready to build and compete.
Teams used the morning to brainstorm and build their robots, and competed in the afternoon. An awards ceremony concluded the event.
Dr. Barney Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education, served as the Event Coordinator.
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, FIRST® is supported by sponsors and volunteers. Besides the FIRST® Tech Challenge, the organization also provides the FIRST® Robotics Competition (for grades 9-12), the FIRST® Lego League (for grades 4-8), and Junior FIRST® Lego League (for grades K-3).
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards