Education Students Host Literacy Workshop for Parents
St. John Fisher College graduate literacy students hosted a parent literacy workshop on Wednesday, November 9, at the Nathaniel Rochester Community School Number 3.
The workshop focused on things parents of students in kindergarten through eighth grade can do at home to help their children learn. A variety of sessions on topics including reading at home, motivational strategies, and finding the right books for your children were offered.
Working with no budget dollars, the students held fundraisers to help support the event, talked to community members about donations and volunteering, and organized a book drive so that each family in attendance could leave with books for their home library. In the end, students collected over 500 books from the Fisher community and Project Flight of Buffalo, a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting literacy in children and caregivers, through school and family literacy initiatives.
Local community members, including librarians from the Monroe County Library, were also on hand to sign parents up for library cards on the spot.
“The process of organizing the event had a huge impact on student perceptions of involving families and strengthening the home/school connection,” said Allison Rioux, Visiting Instructor of Literacy Education. “I think that this event really helped the students realize not only the importance of parental involvement, but also the realistic challenges they will face upon entering this profession and how to begin to overcome them.”
Rioux also said the feedback she received from students was very positive. Many said that it was a memorable experience that reminded them that teaching is not only about what happens in the walls of the classroom, but also about the experiences and background that the students bring to school.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference