Education Students Host Literacy Workshop for Parents
St. John Fisher College graduate literacy students hosted a parent literacy workshop on Wednesday, November 9, at the Nathaniel Rochester Community School Number 3.
The workshop focused on things parents of students in kindergarten through eighth grade can do at home to help their children learn. A variety of sessions on topics including reading at home, motivational strategies, and finding the right books for your children were offered.
Working with no budget dollars, the students held fundraisers to help support the event, talked to community members about donations and volunteering, and organized a book drive so that each family in attendance could leave with books for their home library. In the end, students collected over 500 books from the Fisher community and Project Flight of Buffalo, a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting literacy in children and caregivers, through school and family literacy initiatives.
Local community members, including librarians from the Monroe County Library, were also on hand to sign parents up for library cards on the spot.
“The process of organizing the event had a huge impact on student perceptions of involving families and strengthening the home/school connection,” said Allison Rioux, Visiting Instructor of Literacy Education. “I think that this event really helped the students realize not only the importance of parental involvement, but also the realistic challenges they will face upon entering this profession and how to begin to overcome them.”
Rioux also said the feedback she received from students was very positive. Many said that it was a memorable experience that reminded them that teaching is not only about what happens in the walls of the classroom, but also about the experiences and background that the students bring to school.
Latest College News Stories
- Digital Cultures Student Show Opening Reception March 12
- Lavery Library Host to “The Irish and the American Civil War” Exhibit, Opening Ceremony March 15
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany