Education Students Host Literacy Workshop for Parents
St. John Fisher College graduate literacy students hosted a parent literacy workshop on Wednesday, November 9, at the Nathaniel Rochester Community School Number 3.
The workshop focused on things parents of students in kindergarten through eighth grade can do at home to help their children learn. A variety of sessions on topics including reading at home, motivational strategies, and finding the right books for your children were offered.
Working with no budget dollars, the students held fundraisers to help support the event, talked to community members about donations and volunteering, and organized a book drive so that each family in attendance could leave with books for their home library. In the end, students collected over 500 books from the Fisher community and Project Flight of Buffalo, a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting literacy in children and caregivers, through school and family literacy initiatives.
Local community members, including librarians from the Monroe County Library, were also on hand to sign parents up for library cards on the spot.
“The process of organizing the event had a huge impact on student perceptions of involving families and strengthening the home/school connection,” said Allison Rioux, Visiting Instructor of Literacy Education. “I think that this event really helped the students realize not only the importance of parental involvement, but also the realistic challenges they will face upon entering this profession and how to begin to overcome them.”
Rioux also said the feedback she received from students was very positive. Many said that it was a memorable experience that reminded them that teaching is not only about what happens in the walls of the classroom, but also about the experiences and background that the students bring to school.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher