Education Students Host Literacy Workshop for Parents
St. John Fisher College graduate literacy students hosted a parent literacy workshop on Wednesday, November 9, at the Nathaniel Rochester Community School Number 3.
The workshop focused on things parents of students in kindergarten through eighth grade can do at home to help their children learn. A variety of sessions on topics including reading at home, motivational strategies, and finding the right books for your children were offered.
Working with no budget dollars, the students held fundraisers to help support the event, talked to community members about donations and volunteering, and organized a book drive so that each family in attendance could leave with books for their home library. In the end, students collected over 500 books from the Fisher community and Project Flight of Buffalo, a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting literacy in children and caregivers, through school and family literacy initiatives.
Local community members, including librarians from the Monroe County Library, were also on hand to sign parents up for library cards on the spot.
“The process of organizing the event had a huge impact on student perceptions of involving families and strengthening the home/school connection,” said Allison Rioux, Visiting Instructor of Literacy Education. “I think that this event really helped the students realize not only the importance of parental involvement, but also the realistic challenges they will face upon entering this profession and how to begin to overcome them.”
Rioux also said the feedback she received from students was very positive. Many said that it was a memorable experience that reminded them that teaching is not only about what happens in the walls of the classroom, but also about the experiences and background that the students bring to school.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain