Mathematics Professor Receives Award from Mathematical Association of America
Dr. Mark McKinzie, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department, received The Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award from the Mathematical Association of America.
The annual award recognizes authors of articles of expository excellence published in The American Mathematical Monthly. McKinzie won for his article, “Another Way to Sum a Series: Generating Functions, Euler and the Dilog Function,” in the January 2012 issue. The article was co-authored by Dan Kalman from American University.
In the article, McKinzie and Kalman present a little known proof of Leonhard Euler, the famed 18th century mathematician, and try to determine whether Euler knew of this argument by examining similar ideas in his writings and correspondence.
Originally known as the Ford Award, the Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award was established in 1964, and was named for distinguished mathematician Lester R. Ford. In addition to serving as editor of The American Mathematical Monthly, Ford was the former President of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2012, the name was changed to honor the award support provided by the Halmost family and Paul R. Halmost, another distinguished mathematician and American Mathematical Monthly editor.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students