Mathematics Professor Receives Award from Mathematical Association of America
Dr. Mark McKinzie, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department, received The Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award from the Mathematical Association of America.
The annual award recognizes authors of articles of expository excellence published in The American Mathematical Monthly. McKinzie won for his article, “Another Way to Sum a Series: Generating Functions, Euler and the Dilog Function,” in the January 2012 issue. The article was co-authored by Dan Kalman from American University.
In the article, McKinzie and Kalman present a little known proof of Leonhard Euler, the famed 18th century mathematician, and try to determine whether Euler knew of this argument by examining similar ideas in his writings and correspondence.
Originally known as the Ford Award, the Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award was established in 1964, and was named for distinguished mathematician Lester R. Ford. In addition to serving as editor of The American Mathematical Monthly, Ford was the former President of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2012, the name was changed to honor the award support provided by the Halmost family and Paul R. Halmost, another distinguished mathematician and American Mathematical Monthly editor.
Latest College News Stories
- Schlosser Publishes Article
- Maggs Presents at International Atlantic Economic Conference
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Schultz, Nelson-Tuttle Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference