Mathematics Professor Receives Award from Mathematical Association of America
Dr. Mark McKinzie, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department, received The Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award from the Mathematical Association of America.
The annual award recognizes authors of articles of expository excellence published in The American Mathematical Monthly. McKinzie won for his article, “Another Way to Sum a Series: Generating Functions, Euler and the Dilog Function,” in the January 2012 issue. The article was co-authored by Dan Kalman from American University.
In the article, McKinzie and Kalman present a little known proof of Leonhard Euler, the famed 18th century mathematician, and try to determine whether Euler knew of this argument by examining similar ideas in his writings and correspondence.
Originally known as the Ford Award, the Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award was established in 1964, and was named for distinguished mathematician Lester R. Ford. In addition to serving as editor of The American Mathematical Monthly, Ford was the former President of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2012, the name was changed to honor the award support provided by the Halmost family and Paul R. Halmost, another distinguished mathematician and American Mathematical Monthly editor.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year