C/J and Nursing Faculty Members Co-Write Article
Dr. Todd Sodano, Assistant Professor in the Communication/Journalism Department, and Dr. Charlene Smith, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, have an article in the November issue of Active Learning in Higher Education.
The article, “Integrating Lecture Capture as a Teaching Strategy to Improve Student Presentation Skills Through Self-Assessment” talks about using lecture capture technology (Echo 360 and video cameras) to help students improve their presentation and public speaking skills. The piece stemmed from Sodano and Smith’s collaboration in the fall of 2009, when they studied how their students use the technology to measure their perceived confidence and competence in delivering oral presentations.
In each of their classes, students delivered oral presentations that were recorded. Some students were able to assess (and reflect on) their own presentations by viewing these digital files, and others had to go by memory. Sodano and Smith concluded that students who had access to the recorded podcasts were more likely to apply what they learned than those who didn't have access.
Active Learning in Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed publication for all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research into effective learning, teaching, and assessment in universities and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Countdown to Commencement - Kelsey Regetz
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest