C/J and Nursing Faculty Members Co-Write Article
Dr. Todd Sodano, Assistant Professor in the Communication/Journalism Department, and Dr. Charlene Smith, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, have an article in the November issue of Active Learning in Higher Education.
The article, “Integrating Lecture Capture as a Teaching Strategy to Improve Student Presentation Skills Through Self-Assessment” talks about using lecture capture technology (Echo 360 and video cameras) to help students improve their presentation and public speaking skills. The piece stemmed from Sodano and Smith’s collaboration in the fall of 2009, when they studied how their students use the technology to measure their perceived confidence and competence in delivering oral presentations.
In each of their classes, students delivered oral presentations that were recorded. Some students were able to assess (and reflect on) their own presentations by viewing these digital files, and others had to go by memory. Sodano and Smith concluded that students who had access to the recorded podcasts were more likely to apply what they learned than those who didn't have access.
Active Learning in Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed publication for all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research into effective learning, teaching, and assessment in universities and colleges.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition