C/J and Nursing Faculty Members Co-Write Article
Dr. Todd Sodano, Assistant Professor in the Communication/Journalism Department, and Dr. Charlene Smith, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, have an article in the November issue of Active Learning in Higher Education.
The article, “Integrating Lecture Capture as a Teaching Strategy to Improve Student Presentation Skills Through Self-Assessment” talks about using lecture capture technology (Echo 360 and video cameras) to help students improve their presentation and public speaking skills. The piece stemmed from Sodano and Smith’s collaboration in the fall of 2009, when they studied how their students use the technology to measure their perceived confidence and competence in delivering oral presentations.
In each of their classes, students delivered oral presentations that were recorded. Some students were able to assess (and reflect on) their own presentations by viewing these digital files, and others had to go by memory. Sodano and Smith concluded that students who had access to the recorded podcasts were more likely to apply what they learned than those who didn't have access.
Active Learning in Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed publication for all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research into effective learning, teaching, and assessment in universities and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award