C/J and Nursing Faculty Members Co-Write Article
Dr. Todd Sodano, Assistant Professor in the Communication/Journalism Department, and Dr. Charlene Smith, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, have an article in the November issue of Active Learning in Higher Education.
The article, “Integrating Lecture Capture as a Teaching Strategy to Improve Student Presentation Skills Through Self-Assessment” talks about using lecture capture technology (Echo 360 and video cameras) to help students improve their presentation and public speaking skills. The piece stemmed from Sodano and Smith’s collaboration in the fall of 2009, when they studied how their students use the technology to measure their perceived confidence and competence in delivering oral presentations.
In each of their classes, students delivered oral presentations that were recorded. Some students were able to assess (and reflect on) their own presentations by viewing these digital files, and others had to go by memory. Sodano and Smith concluded that students who had access to the recorded podcasts were more likely to apply what they learned than those who didn't have access.
Active Learning in Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed publication for all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research into effective learning, teaching, and assessment in universities and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer