C/J and Nursing Faculty Members Co-Write Article
Dr. Todd Sodano, Assistant Professor in the Communication/Journalism Department, and Dr. Charlene Smith, Assistant Professor in the Wegmans School of Nursing, have an article in the November issue of Active Learning in Higher Education.
The article, “Integrating Lecture Capture as a Teaching Strategy to Improve Student Presentation Skills Through Self-Assessment” talks about using lecture capture technology (Echo 360 and video cameras) to help students improve their presentation and public speaking skills. The piece stemmed from Sodano and Smith’s collaboration in the fall of 2009, when they studied how their students use the technology to measure their perceived confidence and competence in delivering oral presentations.
In each of their classes, students delivered oral presentations that were recorded. Some students were able to assess (and reflect on) their own presentations by viewing these digital files, and others had to go by memory. Sodano and Smith concluded that students who had access to the recorded podcasts were more likely to apply what they learned than those who didn't have access.
Active Learning in Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed publication for all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research into effective learning, teaching, and assessment in universities and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Birnie Named Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy