Chemistry Adjunct Receives Honorable Mention
Lafayette Eaton, an Adjunct Professor in the Chemistry Department, received an honorable mention in the Turnitin All-Star Award Program. He was nominated for the award by Fisher’s Educational Technologist, Katie McDonald.
Turnitin is a cloud-based system that saves professors time and was designed for originality checking, online grading, and peer review. Most importantly the system provides students with rich feedback and has a plagiarism detection system.
The Turnitin All-Stars awards recognize the top users who demonstrate excellence and success in using Turnitin to support their students. Eaton was one of 250 nominees that were contacted and interviewed. Four finalists were selected for each award program; Eaton was selected for the Grading and Feedback All-Star. This award goes to the instructor who uses Turnitin to give their students the most effective feedback on their work.
In her nomination, McDonald wrote: “Eaton uses Turnitin in a very innovative and engaging way to promote collaborative learning among his students on a task that in many Chemistry courses is often an individual activity; writing lab reports. Using the features available within the Turnitin PeerMark tool, he has turned an individual writing assignment into something that promotes critical thinking and provides in-depth feedback to students more efficiently and effectively than was previously possible.”
Eaton uses the technology to encourage his students to review and provide feedback on the work of their peers throughout the semester. In turn, the students learn from each other by seeing how other students tackle difficult course content.
“The speed and quality of the feedback is really appreciated by the students. It has only changed the way I teach. Now, I'm really able to help them to become better writers,” said Eaton.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher