Football Wins Lambert Meadowlands Award
The nationally-ranked St. John Fisher College football team received yet another honor as the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) announced that the Cardinals have been named the Lambert Meadowlands Football Award winner for Division III. The selection marks the second time that the Cardinals have earned the award with their first selection coming in 2006.
The Cardinals will be honored on March 27 at the Eastern College Football Awards Banquet, hosted by the ECAC at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
Fisher, who finished the 2013 campaign No. 1 in the final regular season Lambert Poll, made the most of its at-large bid into this year's NCAA Division III Football Championship as the Cardinals overcame a 13-0 deficit to defeat John Carroll in opening round action. Fisher then sprinted past regional opponent, Hobart College on the strength of three forced turnovers en route to a 27-6 win and a trip to Belton, TX where Fisher would face national power Mary Hardin-Baylor in what was the program's fourth appearance in the quarterfinals.
The Cardinals outgained the Crusaders 452-371 and were in a position to tie or take the lead in the fourth before Mary Hardin-Baylor pulled away with two touchdowns in the game's final six minutes to effectively end the Cardinals' season.
Fisher finished the year with a 10-3 record, marking the fifth time in the last 10 years that Fisher has posted double-digit wins.
Established in 1936 as the Lambert Trophy to recognize supremacy in Eastern college football, the award has since grown to recognize the best team in the East in the Bowl Subdivision. In 1957, the Lambert Cup was created to recognize non-Division I-A teams, and in 1966 a Division III award was added. In 1983, the Lambert family decided the Meadowlands Sports Complex would be the best organization with a sincere and involved interest in college athletics to sponsor and manage the award, and since that time, the awards have been known as the Lambert Meadowlands Awards.
To be eligible for the Lambert Meadowlands Award, a school must be located in the East or play at least half of its schedule against eligible Lambert teams. The territory includes New York, New Jersey, New England, and Pennsylvania, while teams in the bordering states of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, and the District of Columbia qualify if at least half of their schedule features eligible teams. Teams in Eastern-based football conferences, regardless of location, qualify if at least half their schedule is against Lambert eligible teams.
Latest College News Stories
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club